Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 5 month old male lab, He’s had diareah more on than…

Customer Question
Hi there , I...

Hi there , I have a 5 month old male lab ,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He’s had diareah more on than off since last Sunday , we gave him a bland diet of chicken and plain white rice

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

It seems that

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No. We started him back on his merrick puppy form after the bland. He was constipated thru the bland diet. He’ll start off with a solid poop in the morning after his breakfast then it turns to a brownie batter like consistency then progressively turns to a yellowish mucus .

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. What is the dog's name?

Then every night in the middle of the night he can’t make it out side an poops 1-2 more poops of brownie like consistency again to the mucus, it’s becoming a routine now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

His name is Fenway

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did he strain to pass stool when on the bland diet?

Any blood in his stools?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

No not straining on the bland diet. Just doesn’t go. His gums are pink and moist
No no pain , still likes his belly rubbbed
We’re pretty constant about watching what goes into his mouth. But he is a lab

Hello again,

First, I am glad to see Fenway hasn't those urgent signs I asked about. Though given his relapses on a normal diet, we'd be wary of dietary sensitivity but even more so of a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or parasites/protozoa infections.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his gut. First, the bland diet is fine to use and I'd note that its not that it constipated him but rather since its more digestible he'd have had less stool to pass. And often when a light diet is preceded by diarrhea, we do see a delay in stool since the gut has essentially been cleared out. So, we can restart that for the moment or even try a more balanced option like Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion.

Furthermore, if he is very loose, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. And if Fenway hasn't been wormed in the past month, do make sure to cover that base as well. And you could even use Panacur/Fenbendazole (OTC at most vets, large pet stores, or online) as it will tackle worms but also some protozoa.

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Given the relapse, infectious agents or to a lesser extent sensitivity to the Merrick diet would be suspect. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he doesn’t respond to the above within a few days (perhaps even trying his old diet once we get him settled again), then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess him, test a stool sample, and start antibiotics or anti=protozoals as needed to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**