Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She’s been vomiting and the vet isn’t open. I wanted to know…

Customer Question
She’s been vomiting and...

She’s been vomiting and the vet isn’t open. I wanted to know if you can replenish hydration through the rectum and if you can give them pedialyte as well

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No. I took her to the vet yesterday and they gave her antibiotics. Worm meds and something to soften her stool but I can tell she’s dehydrated s

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Leilo. And she’s 8-12 weeks old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leilo?

She’s had worms but she’s currently being treated for those. She seems to have no energy but I think it’s because she won’t drink water

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did the vomiting start before or after the antibiotics?

If before, did her vet treat with anything else to soothe her stomach?

What does her vomit look like?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

It started before antibiotics and has recently ended so it seems but she acts dehydrated and weak. She gave something to soothe and make her stool softer. Her vomit is mostly clear. She can keep it down if I give it in a syringe. Her gums are pink. When I push her belly she seems uncomfortable. And no she hasn’t rated anything out of the usual.

Hello again,

First, in regards ***** ***** question, we cannot rectally replenish fluids. They don't tend to absorb much at that site and you'd likely only give her diarrhea. Instead, if they didn't treat her nausea, that is what we need to be focusing on. Though once the vet is open, we need them reassessing her since belly discomfort suggests a severe gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). So, we may need them xraying or checking bloods.

That said, in the meantime, you can consider treating her with a OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac))]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

As we let that kick in, if she is weak and lethargic (usually due to blood sugar crashes in these cases), we can try boosting her blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into your wee one and hopefully perk her up for us.

Afterwards, you can consider starting her on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a concern for Leilo, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Otherwise once her nausea is better managed, you can syringe feed fluids like Pedialyte but aim for 48ml per kilogram of her weight daily.

Overall, Leilo signs do raise a few concerns here and I am concerned that her vet may not have gotten to the root of this with her continued vomiting and her belly discomfort.. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care now but plan to have her rechecked as soon as they are open to make sure there is no blockage here or pancreatitis. And if need be, they can use further injectable (and send you home with an oral one) anti-vomiting medications to get her more settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian