Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate about 3 or 4 small 1.5 inch long by .75 inch wide…

Customer Question
Hey there! My dog...

Hey there! My dog ate about 3 or 4 small 1.5 inch long by .75 inch wide by 1 inch tall brownies from quality foods. I don't know what kind of chocolate they used they didnt list the ingredients. It was about 2.5 hours ago but I wasnt there it was my parents and they told me when we got home an hour and a half later. She is about 12 to 13 kgs and is 6 months old. We are out of service and cant get to a vet until tomorrow... what should I do? I know the actual volume of chocolate is small per brownie, less than an ounce

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Murphie!

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphie?

No shes very healthy, a labradoodle

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 6 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

First thing is to not panic. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. Since it is more than 2 hours ago, inducing vomiting won't help. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you could have induced vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of cake, brownie, or cookie your dog may have ingested .

A dog this size would need to ingest over 1.9 ounces of bakers chocolate to cause more than a mild reaction of vomiting and diarrhea, possible shaking and elevated heart rate. More than that and they may have the symptoms I will describe next. It would take over 3.7 ounces of semi sweet chocolate to cause more severe reactions. Usually brownies do not contain that much actual chocolate so I suspect that even having 3-4 pieces is not going to cause more than maybe some vomiting and diarrhea. However, let me give you the information so you have it.

Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.

The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.

http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm

http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm

There is also an interactive chart available as well here:

http://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

http://veterinaryclinic.com/chocolate/calc.html

If your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart which I do not believe yours has, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorption and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.

You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs and you may wish to take your dog into the vet to avoid this condition developing and definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of this.. You can read about pancreatitis here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would watch for symptoms of pancreatitis but I doubt that will be an issue either. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

if her symptoms do progress to severe, collapse and seizures etc, is it likely she will exhibit less evere symptims such as vomitting and diarrhea first? If this does occur it will be during our sleep so i plan on having her sleep with us. We are approaching 3.5 hours post and we are monitoring her closely. I feel very comforted from your response thank you. We do not have peroxide unforunately. She had eaten all her dinner 1 cup of food and drinking. We went for a huge walk earlier so is very tired anyways. I will continue to check her heartbeat. Is there anything else I can do if she exhibits severe symptoms on our own?

If you are at 3.5 hours now, it is even more likely that she won't have any reaction at all. What you might do tonight is burn some toast and see if she will eat that. It may help absorb a little of the toxin. I do think given her breed, size and it being brownies that you won't have any problems at all.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

Hi Again,