Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog did the same as one of your previous writers. She ate…

Customer Question
My dog did the...

My dog did the same as one of your previous writers. She ate an amount of Vit E. I can’t tell you how much. It’s 400 II, liquid soft gels,

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Wiggles

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wiggles?

She also ate some Folic Acid. 400 mcg. She didn’t seem to eat too many of these as we found quite a few on the floor.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Denise, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Wiggles.

How much does Wiggles weigh?

Did she get into bottles of these medications?

How long ago did she get into them?

Approx 30 lbs. yes, she got into my bottles of medicine. I filled my medicine case last night and forgot to put the bag in the cabinet this morning. Sometime between 6 -8:45 pm.
She seemed to be breathing really heavy when we got home but since she went outside that has seemed to stop. Now she seems to be more reactive to our other dog or protective of my husband. We’re just not sure.

Ok, high doses of Vitamin E can cause coagulopathies (clotting disorders which can result in uncontrolled bleeding).

Folic acid is quite non-toxic and should not cause significant adverse effects. Rarely in humans, folic acid tablets or injection have reportedly caused hypersensitivity reactions or gastrointestinal effects. Very high oral doses in humans (15 mg/day) have occasionally caused CNS effects (e.g., difficulty sleeping, excitement, confusion, etc.).

It sounds like Wiggles may be experiencing hypersensitivity reactions already, but the effects of Folic Acid overdose are mild.

Because of the life-threatening effects of a Vitamin E overdose, I recommend that you induce Wiggles to vomit.

I recommend inducing Wiggles to vomit. Do you have hydrogen peroxide?

She will need about (30ml = 2 Tablespoons) of hydrogen peroxide orally.

Then walk her inside on a leash with a garbage bag to catch her vomit.

If she does not vomit within 10-15 min of the hydrogen peroxide, she can have a second dose.

It is important that she vomit to the point of dry heaving, to know that her stomach is empty.

I am going to be logging off and retiring for the evening. Please follow the above instructions to induce Wiggles to vomit. It will be important to limit the amount of Vitamin E and Folic Acid that she absorbs into her system.

If at anytime her condition declines or you see any concerning symptoms from her, especially bruising, redness of the eyes or gums, I recommend that you contact an emergency veterinarian in your area.

If we just wait for the Vit E to pass through her system naturally, how long should that take, by tomorrow evening or longer? We don't exactly know if she took a few or 25 or 50.
Now she has settled down and is sleeping.

The longer the medication stays in her system, the more she will absorb and the higher risk of her developing a life threatening bleeding problem.

Since it is unknown how many that she ate, the best option is to induce her to vomit, in case she did eat 50 of them. Even after vomiting, she may already have a toxic dose of Vitamin E already absorbed into her bloodstream. She will still need to be monitored closely over the next 3-4 days and see a veterinarian immediately if she develops any adverse signs.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. I will check back tomorrow and respond to any concerns you have.

If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

H​I, it's Dr. Denise. Just checking in on Wiggles. How is she doing?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions for me.