Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I dropped my toothpaste tube on the floor and my cocker

Customer Question
I dropped my toothpaste...

I dropped my toothpaste tube on the floor and my cocker spaniel got into it. He only liked off the top of the tube but I'm concerned about poisoning

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?

Crest toothpaste

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

It has fluoride

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While toothpaste containing fluoride can sometimes cause problems to dogs in terms of toxicity it is a question of amounts. Given that your dog only licked a small amount from the top of the tube the chances are that this will not affect him in the slightest, so really there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. In my experience dogs only suffer adverse side effects when they have consumed much more of the contents of the tube.

2. But in any case I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that your Cocker Spaniel's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Cocker Spaniel is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the toothpaste incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?