Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I️ heard my dog yelling this morning so I️ came out to find…

Customer Question
I️ heard my dog...

I️ heard my dog yelling this morning so I️ came out to find her and she seemed to be dragging her leg then she walked fine. Since then she is acting funny wanting to be with me every second, doesn’t want treats can’t jump up on the coach or beds. My son got her to jump up on the couch but then she started to yelp again

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

When i checked her stomach for pain nothing I️ think it’s her leg or hip where she had a tendon prior that bothered her go out. She seems fine jumping down it’s going up that she helps. Now that i finished with dinner I️ sat down with her and she has short and fast breaths. Roughly 60-75 a min

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ryder?

Nothing other than the tendon I️ mentioned before. She is super active, loves walks and to play and today it’s nothing.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What breed is Ryder? Are you seeing any limping?

She is a maltipoo and no limping just seems like when she is walking she carry’s her lower back lower like she isn’t extending her legs all the way
Any ideas or thoughts?

This sounds to me like it may be pain in her back. As you may well know, small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/ It's very common for dogs to lose usage of their rear legs (as you've mentioned you witnessed), to avoid jumping and to be uncomfortable with this condition.

Because of the risk of of IVDD to go from pain to paralysis, I do recommend that you have an exam performed today at your local ER. Your vet will likely recommend x-rays to check her neck and back and will place her on a canine-safe NSAID and muscle relaxers, as well as pain meds like tramadol. Strict kennel rest will continue for a few days to a few weeks based on her condition and if it worsens they may recommend more diagnostics or referral to a specialist. In some cases, surgery is needed.

If you have to wait, the best approach is going to be strict kennel rest with no risk of jumping or falling. She can be taken outside to potty but should be lifted gently to go outside and placed gently into the grass. No playtime. Encourage your children to leave her on the floor and not encourage her to be on elevated surfaces in the future as this can be a continual problem for dogs and the wrong landing from a jump may cause more problems for her.

At home, if she is not on any pain medication, you can give aspirin in a pinch. Please see the following link for info about dosing and risks: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I did review it yesterday and we are at the vet as i type to you.

If you rated our conversation, it does not look like it was done on this particularly page. That said, how is your companion today? Did they find out why she was painful?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse