Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I was taking care of a dog for a friend but he was sick the

first fews days with a...
I was taking care of a dog for a friend but he was sick the first fews days with a cold. The dog was 5months at the time and the owner had no insurance. So I gave the dog children's Tylenol for a few days (about 160mg each day) and then he was fine. This was two months ago. I returned the dog last Wednesday after caring for him for 3 months and the first day he goes home, the dog is vomiting blood and has black stool. How is this possible if the dogs never expressed any symptoms of being sick thus whole time? He was always energetic, playful, happy, and love. The dog wasn't losing any weight, in fact he was growing very nicely and he always had a good appetite. Now according to the owner, the dog is dying right now and he can't tell me what exactly is wrong with him, but he's blaming me. Is it really my fault? Can Tylenol cause this much damage after two months of not taking it? By the way, this dog is a Siberian husky and his name is ***** ***** eight months now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Juneau?
Customer: Nothing I'm aware off
11/23/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I've always feed him blue wilderness and natural balance (the meaty rolls). I was a little short on cash for a few days so unfortunately I had to buy Purina Naturals and he had that for a few days but not long. Sometimes i mix plain white rice and chicken stock with his food but no other table food. Juneau usually plays a lot in the backyard with my two Tibetan Mastiffs. Juneau likes to dig and he would bury his toys. He would often find something else to chew on, he chewed his bed, the water containers, and his harness at one point. But he never showed signs of ingesting or swallowing anything
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I've always feed him blue wilderness and natural balance (the meaty rolls). I was a little short on cash for a few days so unfortunately I had to buy Purina Naturals and he had that for a few days but not long. Sometimes i mix plain white rice and chicken stock with his food but no other table food. Juneau usually plays a lot in the backyard with my two Tibetan Mastiffs. Juneau likes to dig and he would bury his toys. He would often find something else to chew on, he chewed his bed, the water containers, and his harness at one point. But he never showed signs of ingesting or swallowing anything.

Do you know if the owners changed his food once he went back to them?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No

The first thing to mention is that Tylenol can be toxic to dogs. This absolutely needs to be removed from the pet's medication cabinet unless you've been given specific direction to give it by your vet. Acetominophen can cause not only organ failure but it can also cause tarry, bloody stool. That being said, the dosage seems low so there's no way to be certain that it caused the bloody stool. If this happened 2 months ago, it's rather unlikely.

Second, the rapid food change and change of environment may well be to blame here. Any time we do a change in their diet, they need to be on a 7-10 day slow switch or they may develop severe GI symptoms. My suspicion is that stress and the diet change are to blame and not the Tylenol.

Obviously, it needn't be said, but bloody vomiting and bloody stool is a serious symptom. Has your friend hospitalized Juneau?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
He said he took Juneau to the vet. I don't know about hospitalization. I don't know what is actually wrong with Juneau. His owner won't give me details or the diagnosis. He just said Juneau is dying

That's a big burden to put on your plate given the fact that they're both blaming you but equally not being thankful that you did just watch Juneau for 2 months for them. And, if I may say so, most people who have others watch their dogs don't also expect them to pay for food. There's more to be said here than just blaming you for him being unwell. Many dogs are hospitalized with the aforementioned conditions and they do just fine. Now, there is a potential that Juneau, since he's young, may have contracted parvo. He is only 8 months old and we do see parvo develop in puppies regardless of their vaccine status. Symptoms can be very similar but, again, this also would likely not be your fault.

In short, no, with the information provided I do not believe you're to blame here but I do think it would be wise that you don't offer to do this again for the owner. Allow them to find a professional boarding facility for the 2+ months that Juneau might need care.

If more information develops in the days to come, let me know and I may be better able to help you figure out why this happened. The thread will stay open even after rating and you can reach back out to me here without further charge.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you so much for all your help and for sharing your knowledge. You lifted a big burden off my shoulders...... I can't thank you enough. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving even though I was burdening you with my questions.

You're quite welcome. Oh, not a burden at all. I showed up expecting to help people and I had exactly that opportunity :)

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse