Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog had surgery on Monday from a big cut in abdomen- from…

My dog had surgery...

My dog had surgery on Monday from a big cut in abdomen- from getting stuck on a fence

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?

The area around is pretty red - We have a video

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Joey 2

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Joey?

He received stitches and a drain - he is in good spirits and not lethargic at all

11/23/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? How can I help today?

This area certainly does look bruised. Is your companion on any medication at this time?

he is on 3
Antibiotics
Anti inflammatory
Pain

Will you provide the names of the medications, please?

Considering the trauma to the area & subsequent surgery that looks normal right? I just want to make sure that looked like bruising vs infection

As mentioned above, this does look like bruising. Infection would be weepy and typically involves obvious pus.

Tramadol 1/2 of 50mg tablet
Clavamax 62.5 mg x 1.5 tablets
Carprofen chew 25 mg x 1/2 tabletHe has a drain on his other side
A surgery
A surgery incision on that bruised side where he opened in the fence where he got caught
Then 2 puncture wounds on other side
+ drain opening

Perfect. Typically dogs who are restless are painful. How much does your companion weight? How often are you giving the tramadol and carprofen?

Joey weighs 11lbs -
Carpofen 7am & 7pm
Tramadol 9am & 9pmHe only slept from 2am-6 amHis intestines came out of body during the trauma- surgery put them back in no puncture to intestines. Hes peeing good, eating good, 1 poop yesterday for 1st time.
Ps thank you so much for responding to me!!

It's never a bad idea to seek a veterinary exam following this type of trauma when a pet is not acting right. Failing this, I would consider the following:

Joey is on a low dosage of tramadol at this time. If he appears uncomfortable, there is a wide range of an increased dosage that can be used. You can use this medication as often as every 8 hours and his dosage could be doubled safely. You can also give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8 hours to help keep him more relaxed.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you!!

You're welcome. Good luck!

Is it normal for them to breath weird after tramadol?

Not typically, though we can see odd breathing from discomfort.