Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

She had surgery today with anesthesia and is breathing quite

hard. Not panting just a...
She had surgery today with anesthesia and is breathing quite hard. Not panting just a strong breathe with a snore. Her muzzle is a bit swollen as well. Is this normal?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Portia age 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Portia?
Customer: I don't believe so. I was told she would breathe funny, I just want to be sure this is part of the norm .
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/23/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you.....what type of sx did your dog have?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She had a front leg amputation. She came out of surgery at 4pm. 5 1/2 hours ago.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She is very groggy, which I know is normal. Just wanted to be sure that this sting breathing pattern was normal as well.

What medication is she on?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She starts meds in the am. Gabipentin and amoxicillin

did she get narcotics with surgery and when was her last dose of narcotic?

is she not also taking an NSAID like rimadyl post op?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I am unaware of any narcorics during surgery , but she did have her last dose of prednisone about 8pm lastnught
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
they did prescribe that as well, I did not realize that it didn't type with the others I apologize

when are you starting the rimadyl?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
They told me to start it tomorrow
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Once a day for five days

does she seem painful?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
The antibiotic and
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Gabipentin twice a day

got it...does she seem painful?

I would fed her early in am around 7 and give her the meds....

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She does not appear to be in any pain. No crying out or whining. Just some shallow breathing and a bit of a snore.

is she resting quietly?

they probably gave her narcotics before she left the clinic and that is likely why she is breathing that way....can you see her gums, are they pink?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She is resting very quietly with my son by her side which is normal for her , he sleeps by her. He was just worried about her breathing and I wanted to check to see if this was ok to give him some peice of mind

Are her gums pink?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Her gums appear g
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Dark
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
More black than pink

do you see any pink? some dogs have pigmented gums and many black areas but you should be able to at least look at her tongue. What color is her tongue?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She is a black dog not sure if that makes a difference

yes...

tongue color?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Her onge is definitely pink
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
the very top of her gums are pink as well

ok, good...any bleeding at her amputation site?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
None So far

excellent....think all is ok...

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
She is prone to laying o that side and prefers to right now
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you so much �� this will make my son feel better

sounds like side effects of narcotics.....sure thing...let me know if you need help tomorrow...DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian