Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Ate two doughnuts and an undetermined amount of pine. Abby 5…

Ate two doughnuts and...

Ate two doughnuts and an undetermined amount of pine nuts

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Abby 5 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abby?

Pomeranian chihuahua mix , wt is 13 lbs

Just need to know if I should take her to the vet for a stomach pump.. doughnut had slight chocolate drizzle.... not really worried about that. More worried about the nuts and sugar content.
11/23/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Pine nuts are not considered toxic but the fat and phosphorus content in nuts can cause major gastric distress for dogs. The fat in the donuts is also a concern as pancreatitis can develop from these type of consumption. How long ago were these consumed?

Within the last 2 hrs

You can induce vomiting at home with these instructions: https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/15/how-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-pets.aspx It would not be a bad idea to have your companion examined and treated preventively to prevent a GI upset. If you choose to wait and watch at home, I will be available through the holiday and the associated weekend if other symptoms develop. If you see nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, refusal to eat or drink, you can follow these steps below. If the symptoms persist, a vet visit is needed.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you for your time and expertise! Happy Thanksgiving!

You too! Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
She's good! I followed your advice and gave her some Famotidine. We were without incident the rest of the night! Thanks for your expertise and reassurance!

Awesome. Sure thing!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse