Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

He is almost 14 years old and suddenly can't stand he can

He is almost 14 years...
He is almost 14 years old and suddenly can't stand he can lift himself up on his front legs but can't get up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: he is circling on the ground trying to get up
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He did throw up and had BM atnight he is taking water and not throwing it up
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What occurs if you bring his back end into a standing position?

Is he on any medication at this time?

What breed is he?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He can not stand on his own...just collapses
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He is not on any medication
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He is a 14 year old pit bull
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
we did get a new wet food but he only had half of one can
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
he could have eaten something out of the trash not sure
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
It literally happened overnight he was fine the day before

It sounds like your companion has lost capability in his back end and truly needs a veterinary examination and diagnostics. X-rays will be quite useful in determining why he cannot stand. Often arthritis can onset making rising, standing, walking and sitting back down nigh impossible.

Failing this, if your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort.

To help with the vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
He is not throwing up anymore and keeping down water but doesn't want to eat
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
what do you know about n'zymes

Were you able to see my reply above?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
it is a supplement that is advertised for increased mobility
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
thank you

The information I shared above regarding the famotidine should help. If he's vomited until he has nothing on his stomach, he may still be battling nausea but not actually be vomiting. If so, he would not want to eat and giving the famotidine should help.

N'zymes are for aiding with mobility. Unfortunately, if he cannot even stand you're past the point of using n'zymes exclusively, but this can be added for good measure to a treatment plan by your vet.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
One more question what if he did eat something (one of the kids small legos or a baby wipe?) and it is the poisoning that is making him unable to walk any recommendations on what OTC medicine he could take? I am just trying to figure out why it is so sudden...thank you for all your help

A lego or baby wipe would be very unlikely to cause such symptoms where he's using the front half and not the back half of his body. In those cases, we'd see persistent nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, etc. Even then, you'd be directed to use the directions above with the famotidine if a vet visit wasn't in the stars.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK thank you so much!
Certainly
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK I got the Pepcid so if he is 100 pounds he would get 50 mg and if each tablet is 10 mg so he needs to get 5 tablets; is that right?

You got it.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thank you again; he seems slightly more up beat. I gave him half a cup of low sodium organic chicken broth and he seems to be able to keep that down.

You're welcome. I hope all goes well.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse