Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Just got a papillon puppy who is 5 months and I notice he…

Hi, just got a...

Hi, just got a papillon puppy who is 5 months and I notice he keeps stretching all different positions? He also won't sleep with us get off the bed and lays on the floor. He changes his spot through out the night. Not really sure what is going on I have had a lot of dogs. He has been to the vet he looks well just some skin allergies

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

He is not having lethargy he has tons of energy crazy energy! I was just wondering if stretching a lot in different positions means there is something wrong or if it is normal for a puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He just had tape worm but they are all gone the vet gave him medicine. So when does the vet contact me?

Hello
How long does it take for the vet to respond?
How long is the wait for vet
11/22/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

He is fine. He is only 5 months old I have had him for 3 weeks now. I just was wondering if some puppy's stretch a lot. He has been stretching since we got him. I has been to the vet vitals are fine he acts like a puppy and plays. At night he moves around a lot he was sleeping with me then he started to sleep on the floor and would move all over the place on the floor. I just got to my parents house and he has never been here they have two older dogs I don't know if it is stress. But he did it before he got here

Where did your puppy originally sleep before adoption?

Where are you seeing him stretch, on the bed? floor? is this primarily at night or all through the day?

He slept in a crate. I still crate him for potty but not for sleep. We got him 8 hours away from our home and we stayed in a dog friendly upscale hotel. He sleep with us for the two nights there. We notice inching. Then took to vet it turned out he had a tape worm and they gave him medicine and it looks like it is total gone. He is still itching they said it could be slight alergies. But he was sleeping with us at our house in the bed
he has actually stretch since we got him. He is very long so I don't know if that is why. Another reason could have eaten to many bully sticks left over from my other dogs. I just want to know if this is normal
Thank you

If he slept in crate, chances are he's not familiar enough with the concept of sleeping in a bed just yet which is why he's constantly changing his position and getting down to lay on the floor. Sleeping on a flat surface is what he's used to, so it's what he seeks. Over time, this should change for him as he becomes more used to sleeping in bed. Stretching is completely fine and typically not a concern. It may be his way of relaxing during stressful situations such as the change in his environment, as well.

Is he on any medication for the itching?

Is he on any flea prevention?

I put him on bentidrill sometimes but don't like too. And yes he is on flea medicine now heart worm medicine too

If he's on flea medication and heartworm medication now, this should prevent fleas and the development of additional tapeworms. Does the Benadryl help with the itching? How much does he weigh and how much do you give in milligrams? How often?

I only gave it 2x he is 6.1 pounds. 1/4 of adult Benadryl pill

1/4 of an adult Benadryl would have been 6.25mg. He can have up to 12.5mg every 8 hours. Does the Benadryl help with the itching?

I have not see it stop the inching. Maybe give him more?

You can give 12.5mg every 8 hours routinely to see if it helps. You do need to be giving the medication with regularity or you may not see benefits. If you prefer a medication what is given less often, you can give Zyrtec. This is given once daily and he can take 5mg. I would focus on giving this for 5-7 days before determining if it will be a medication that works well for him. If the itching persists, you may need to see other medications through your vet such as a low dose of steroids coupled with antihistamines, a steroid injection, cytopoint or even daily pills like apoquel.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you very much for helping me. You were great!

You're welcome. Happy to assist.