Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dogs heart rate was 240 during surgery he is diabetic Now…

Customer Question
My dogs heart rate was...
My dogs heart rate was 240 during surgery he is diabetic
Now he isn't the same
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/22/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this...when did your dog have surgery?

Rhonda Can you explain how your dog is not the same and when the surgery took place and what type of surgery it was? if you leave me this info I will get back to you tomorrow night.....DRB

He had a dental done October 17
He is diabetic
Afterward he lost his vision he's confused doesn't know where he is
Brain damage in other words

That is very very rare....have heard about this happening but have never seen this in 28 years of practice.....how can I help you or what would you like to know?

Should this dental have stopped
His heart rate was 240 blood pressure low

Do you mean should they have stopped the procedure? And do you know how low BP was?

Blood pressure was 67
Should they have stopped this dental

BP of 67 under anesthesia is fine.....

difficult to say whether dental should have been stopped.....the heart rate could have been high due to so many reasons...some drugs will cause that...

did it stay that high whole surgery? They may have used propofol and your dog may have been on the lighter side which could cause a higher heart rate...

This sounds like an unfortunate but fluke incident......

We do dentals everyday and I can tell you that the risk is well worth it because risk in general very very low and pay off from dentals to health very high 99.9% of the time....

Sorry that this happened to your dog........

I have had things happen to my own pets so I do understand what you are going through....

Rhonda, This sounds like a bad situation but it does not sound like your vet did anything wrong....

Medicine is an art and an imperfect science and even when Dr's do everything correct sometimes very rarely though bad things can happen...I hope that makes sense...

can I answer any other questions for you?

If you think of other questions, I am online every night an would be happy to get back to you....I will check back with you tomorrow...I spoke with my sig other about this because she is in anesthesia and she agreed with everything I told you...hope it helps, DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

I will call tomorrow

can I help you further tonight?

No
Thank you
I will call tomorrow
I have paid in the past but I'll pay again

I don't understand...

did you want a phone call?

Well, best of luck to you and your dog and let me know if you need additional help....DRB