Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My beautiful dog died Sunday morn shock lung! She went in

My beautiful dog died Sunday...
My beautiful dog died Sunday morn shock lung ! She went in for X-ray came home with breathing problems heartbroken we would like to know why ! Where do we go from here ! They say it might be too late for autopsy ! Paula .
11/22/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm very, very sorry to hear about this sudden loss of your girl. To best help, I need to get more of a history on her. I want to help as much as I can to get you through this very tough time. First off, what was her name? How old was she? What breed was she? Why was she having x-rays done?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hello her name was honey ... she was 9 years old , miniature dachshund, she back left leg was limp and she had problems standing on it the morning of her X-ray it actually seemed much better and we hesitated to take her but felt an X-ray would double check if there was something more serious never in a million years did we think that picking her up drowsy after being sedated 2 teeth removed nails clipped and X-ray done .. 24 hours later her breathing become rapid and she was reaching as if there was an obstruction .. after phoning practice they said there wasn't a vet present we were to phone their sister practice we got in car and arrived to meet a vet
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She asked us to sign a form and would give us an estimate later , she took honey to put her on oxygen and told us to leave and get in touch ... much later manager rang saying she crashed when taken off oxygen will inform us how she is doing following morning he called saying the same thing we both drove there to see her we were told to wait in a room and it was a long wait I walked into where I could see honey lifeless on oxygen he scolded me saying get out he has no insurance and he's trying to save her life we felt awful

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm extremely sorry to hear about all this. So she went in for a limping issue (which for a dachshund could have been an early back issue - one that shouldn't have been life threatening by any means), and got a dental procedure done? Did they say how she was sedated / anesthetized for this? Did she have a tube placed in her throat to have her on gas anesthesia? Did she ever breath normally after coming home?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
In waiting room again they brought her out to us she wasn't aware of anything then took her back in he said we shouldn't have gone in as it distressed her .. leaving we were in bits .... he mentioned taking her to specialist but it would add extra naughts on our bill we would have to drive her there ourselves nearest one Newmarket or London my partner said she wouldn't survive the journey "he rang later once home to say he spoke to specialist and he suggested she was best to stay put following morning 7.30 he said we should go in and gave us option of taking her off oxygen or putting her to sleep as there was 2 percent of survival we said we coming now he said not until 10 am ... we walked in waiting room to see honey in table with line coming out of her mouth lifeless he said we should let her go as she would be in agony if taken off oxygen we didn't know what to do he kept saying it was best for honey so my beautiful angel has has gone just like that ... they said it was shock lung but cannot explain why exactly I asked for autopsy reply was it may be too late ��

At this time out from her passing, a necropsy is more challenging in trying to get an answer. The body has alterations to it that make things more difficult to interpret the longer out from passing. In saying that, you could always still ask for a necropsy to be done to see if a more specific answer is found. I'm curious as to why an otherwise outwardly appearing healthy dog had all this happen. In saying that, some can have bad anesthetic complications. In my career, I've had a handful happen on otherwise outwardly appearing pets. These typically have underlying heart disease that isn't able to be diagnosed until they start to have complications from it due to the anesthesia. Anytime a pet is anesthetized, there is a very small chance of an aspiration event after it. That is why I was asking if she ever was breathing normally after she came home.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
tube in throat GAcanine 10 kg anaesthetic induction jelco catheter 20g materials 1 medetomidinesedatorinjButorphanol alvegesic10MG/ml Propoflo plusvials abbott propoflovetofolinj isoflourane isocare IGA maintenance (Oxygen and Isofloraneper minute ATIPAM inj X-ray 10kg first exposure X-ray 10kgsecond exposure hospitalisation canine day rate Buprenorohine vetergisic injectable extract premolars tooth moderate plus another tooth came out . Loxicim inj 5mg ml TD canine mini hills 3kg zodon chew tabs88 mg 15/11 this may not be a complete activity report printed 14.26 picked her up 4.45 pm . We took her for 11 am .

When you picked up her at 4:45 pm and then got home, was she able to rest comfortably? Was she breathing normally at any point on getting home? She went back at 11 am the next day - was she getting markedly worse quickly? Did they take any x-rays when she got there after 11 am to see what her lungs looked like?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Her breathing seemed hoarse but she was very drowsy noticed it more following eve then worsened on the friday late morning

When she got home, did she eat and drink at all? Did they do any repeat x-rays of her chest when she went back?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Sorry we took her in in for the first time to vet at 11 am on same day after X-ray picked her up at 4.45 once home her breathing seemed fine we put the hoarseness down to tube in throat but she was breathing fine also next day it was I would say 24 hours when her cavity walk was noticeably caving in and out and she was making choking sounds as if she was trying to cough up something
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She didn't eat all her dinner little drink

That is frustrating. The typical complications from an anesthetic event don't usually have them going home and breathing normal for that time frame. Did the vet's have any idea as to what the issue was that caused her to deteriorate? Did they hear any heart murmurs with her?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Sorry my battery went .... other practice said they did blood tests ... vet called Beth who did X-rays in first practice said she was absolutely fine afterwards

That is good that she was fine after the procedures done at the first clinic. At the second clinic, did they do x-rays there?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
No they didn't hear heart murmurs only once we took her to other practice they said she bled from mouth and lungs and heart was enlarged

If her heart was enlarged, then there could have been an underlying primary cardiac issue that was pushed over the edge with the anesthesia or it just went on its own. The heart is a very tough organ for the most part, but it is also very sensitive. IF it starts to have abnormal rhythms or its contractility is compromised, it can deteriorate very quickly. With the fluid / blood from the mouth, I would be worried that she went into congestive heart failure. She could have had a valve tear on her acutely and it caused her passing so suddenly. I've had one in my career where a valve tore and the dog went downhill very quickly. It was very frustrating as those owners didn't know why initially she had this passing. It took a necropsy to determine that. You could still ask for a necropsy to screen for major problems with her organs and her heart. It may give you a more specific answer here as to why she passed.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Don the manager was there all the time and told us he did strange but we both didn't feel comfortable he asked us if we had rat poison around that she may have got !!! No way we don't have and wouldn't have especially having two dogs ... he was arrogant and unhelpful closed and shifty I know that sounds awful for us to say but had no empathy for honey it seemed or us

That is tough. Some veterinarians are brilliant individuals at practicing medicine but can be lacking in communication skills / bed side manner. The asking about the rat / mouse poison is a very valid question. I have had cases at my ER where they get into it by sneaking into the neighbors yard or garage.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
She was put asleep as he said she would not recover if taken off oxygen I'm so angry with myself for taking her in as before she was happy spritely dog
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Beth mentioned pneumonia or kennel cough !

Please don't beat yourself up for you taking her in. You were being a responsible and caring owner. You didn't do this to her. Something that hasn't been determined went on and this was in no way shape or form something you caused. Guilt is a part of the grieving process so it is normal for you to feel like this.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Could something have gone wrong in anaesthetic ! Too much too little !!!
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
But if I hadn't taken her she would still be here instead we are torn apart with grief our other dachshund is so quiet and sad he is a worry
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Could she have been saved !

Typically anesthetic related complications show really bad issues in the hours after the anesthesia, not a day later. If she had an underlying heart issue, it was a matter of time that was going to cause it to be a major issue.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Having a necropsy will help us understand then the cause ! Di you have any tips of questions I should ask them !
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Beth said honey was very anxious before the sedation and kept barking at another dog there

A necropsy at this point is the only hope to try and find out what may have happened. Otherwise, there is no way to know specifically. The necropsy may give that answer and it may rule things out. It may not give the specific answer though. I would try to have it done by someone that does them on a more regular basis.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Beth mentioned she new someone who could give us information when I asked ! How do I go about this can I find my own necropsy or do vet !

Is Beth one of the persons that works at the clinic?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thankyou

If Beth is one of the employees at one of the clinics that you've been too, then she may be a very good resource to utilize to find out who can do that necropsy for you. The necropsy may give an answer. It most likely will rule some things out as far as the issue at hand. If it comes back as inconclusive, then you will know that you've taken it to the extent possible to get an answer. I know it is so hard to not have Honey with you. It is never easy to lose one so suddenly. The pain will get better with time. The memories of this special one will always be in your hearts.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! Take care.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian