Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dingo looking mix. Only about 1 1/2 years old. House trained…

Customer Question
Dingo looking mix. Only...

Dingo looking mix. Only about 1 1/2 years old. House trained but has started urinating in the house. Often. In larger amounts than should be possible

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

Shes urinating in the house what seems like uncontrollably in semi large amounts

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't seem to be in pain. She just keeps going.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Cleo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cleo?

Other dog has been interested in her vaginal area

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
11/21/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Cleo spayed?

Are you seeing any abnormality in the urine, such as blood?

Hi!

Hello. Can you answer the questions above for me, please?

What questions?

Here they are again:

Is Cleo spayed?

No she's not and no there isn't. Not even a urine smell.
She's alse started drinking from the toilet.
Not sure if that's related... It's a first for her and us as dog owners

It's very common for us to see this symptom with females who have a urinary tract infections. They will tend to drink more to flush their bladder but they will also have accidents inside due to the infection and due to the fact that they're drinking more. The best approach is going to be taking her in to have a urinalysis performed. I would also recommend having her spayed as soon as you are able. Intact females are a risk of what is known as pyometra or an infected uterus. This tends to increase in risk as they age. Spays are inexpensive in comparison to treatment for a pyometra, so it's advised to have this done earlier in life to prevent costly bills and the potential threat to life a pyo can cause.

Most UTIs are easily treated by a 7-10 day course of antibiotics. You should see benefits within 3-5 days of her starting treatment.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Ok. It might be silly but can dogs drink cranberry juice? Watered down?

You can give a small amount in her water but this is not going to kill bacteria in her urine. It's worth a try, though.

Checking in. How is Cleo doing today?

Believe it or not, the issues has seemed to solve it self. She has stopped the peeing and the other dog has stopped paying attention to her underside.

I am glad to hear that this has happened. Let me know if this changes or you need additional assistance.

Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse