Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our 6 month old lab got into his dog food kibble dry and ate

about 1/2 of a 4...
Our 6 month old lab got into his dog food kibble dry and ate about 1/2 of a 4 lb bag. We took him outside he did pee no poop and he is in his crate seems ok but not sure what to watch. Looked online said no running around very little water and no food 24 hours.
11/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Two pounds of dry food isn't an egregious overdose of food for a dog of his size. While it's reasonable to keep him quiet so the food in his stomach doesn't act as a fulcrum and encourage the stomach to twist on its axis, it's not appropriate to restrict water. The water will soften the kibble and enourage its passage through the GI tract and will help excrete the excess sodium (salt) he ingested. It is appropriate to reduce the amount of calories equivalent to what he just ingested at his next scheduled mealtime. He won't be happy about that but it's only prudent lest he expect to be overfed regularly. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you he is resting should I offer him water or let him sleep we are guessing at amt of kibble even if it were 2 1/2 lbs. he is almost 50 lbs. I really appreciate this service��

You're quite welcome. I would consider this a snack for a 50 lb dog. If he's happily asleep, please leave him alone. Access to his water shouldn't be restricted. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Brady is doing great! We continued to give water at 3 hr intervals. He slept the rest of the night. We fed him 1/2 cup of his food with pumpkin puree about 2 tablespoons. He had a large poop early morning and throughout the day a couple looser stools. His mood is great and he is happy! Thanks again for being there at that late hour last night. What a fabulous service and your words to us helped us through our first scary night!

Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. Give Brady a kiss for me.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian