Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 5 month puppy. About a week ago his eyes appeared…

Customer Question
I have a 5...

I have a 5 month puppy. About a week ago his eyes appeared to roll back. It seems you can see more white area white area from the bottom inner corner. Also he is squinting and keeping his eyes closed more.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Coconut

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coconut?

No I don't think so. A friend thought it may be seizures but I don't know. When he sleeps he does shake and make sounds like he's having a nightmare. But I've seen other dogs do the same. Also I don't know of any way he would have injured his eyes. He is eating and playing with other dogs. He does seem to sleep a little more than usual.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/21/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Coconut, please?

You've described prolapse of the third eyelid which can appear as is the eyes have rolled back. This can occur due to primary third eyelid disorders, the eyelids trying to protect the eyes, or a lack of innervation to those eyelids as might occur with Horner's syndrome or interruption in the sympathetic nerve chain (unlikely in such a young pup).

His blepherospasm (squinting) concerns me for pain in his eyes and so unless he has normalized by now, it would be prudent to have his vet examine Coconut's eyes hand-on at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?