Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog was recently vomiting quite often, had a speedy heart…

Customer Question
My dog was recently...

My dog was recently vomiting quite often, had a speedy heart rate. Took her into the vet and was told she had high white blood cell count. They prescribed a probiotic, 160mg Cerenia, 625 mg of Augmenten and 500mg of Metronidazole. We’re still not sure of what might be wrong. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

She did not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Ada and I believe 11-13. She’s a rescue. Blue heeler

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Ada?

I think 11-13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ada?

Not that I can think of!

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
11/20/2017
Dog Specialist: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 2 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing

Tough question.

On that same blood test, assuming they also did a chemistry profile, the vet should have mentioned if there were any other irregularities like kidney values being increased or multiple liver enzymes being changed. With nothing else being abnormal, the vet is going to need to identify fairly quickly the source of the increased white blood cell count.

Now, I am assuming it is REALLY high because to give a dog Augmentin and Metronidazole is very aggressive and hard on the stomach.

You do have the Cerenia to help the vomiting, but the antibiotic could cause issues as well.

I am surprised you said Augmentin. Vets usually prescribe Clavamox, not the people, Augmentin.

Additional testing to consider really soon would include a abdominal ultrasound to get a good look at the organs, stomach and intestinal wall and layering. Very important.

Even if not vomiting, give the Cerenia, as it may help to tolerate the antibiotics better, and make sure to follow up with vet about rechecking the CBC relatively soon to ensure the white blood cell count is responding well to antibiotic therapy.

Hope that information helps

I appreciate it so much! Will relay

Very happy to help.

May I be of any further assistance?

I hope my responses were satisfactory.

I believe they are! Thanks so much

Very welcome.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director