Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 10 year soft coated wheaten has many health issues. He…

My 10 year soft...

My 10 year soft coated wheaten has many health issues. He has PLN, severe allergies, thyroid condition and he had three hip surgeries. He's on thyroid medication, kidney medication, Apoquel, Trimadol and Gabapentin. This past week he has been gagging and wanting to eat grass. He is total inside dog and doesn't go anywhere to get kennel cough. I spend about $200 a month on medications and food. I don't want to have to take him to the vet if there isn't anything wrong. Any ideas what it can be?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Teddy\

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy\?

He also has many fatty tumors (which have been biospy . One tumor is nickel size and hard by his neck. They were unable to biopsy it and I didn't want to remove due to his health

11/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is he gagging like he's retching (nauseated) or coughing?

Like retching. Last night was the first time he actually threw up. He’s been eating fine and drinking

Thank you for the clarification.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

He’s on restricted Prescription Diet KD because of his kidney disease

And no changes have been made, correct, such as treats from the table? Consuming another pet's food, etc.?

No, he’s diet is very restricted

Great. I wanted to be sure because every dog is different.

If he's actually vomited and is not coughing, I doubt this is kennel cough. We typically hear a honking noise with kennel cough which is quite characteristic.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

To help with the vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms and can be used along side the medications you've mentioned above. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, you can feed a small amount of his regular kibble soaked in water. Give only a small amount to ensure that he holds it down. Limit his water to minimize the risk of over ingestion and secondary vomiting. After 2 hours pass with no vomiting, increase the amount of food and water he has and continue this process until he's back at his normal volume. If the vomiting returns or he worsens at any point, I would arrange a vet visit for him given his sensitive condition.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse