Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 7 lb puppy got a half an ibuprofen pill should i take her…

My 7 lb puppy...

My 7 lb puppy got a half an ibuprofen pill should i take her to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

Nothing yet. She ingested a half an ibuprofen pill what should i do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Liv

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Liv?

She is about 7 lbs and a mini schnauzer maltese mix. 5 months old

11/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long ago did your puppy consume the pill?

What was the total strength of the whole tablet of ibuprofen?

Thank you! I should add it was only about 10 minutes ago.
200 mg pill. 10 minutes ago

So, 100mg ingestion total, correct?

The lowest dosage we see typically causing toxicity symptoms is 25mg/kg or 80mg for Liv. Since Liv has consumed higher than 80mg, we know she's at risk for nausea, vomiting and gastric ulceration due to the consumption. It would be advisable to have her in to see your vet immediately to have vomiting induced. If this cannot happen, you can approach this at home with a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide. You will want to follow the steps here: http://www.vin.com/members/cms/project/defaultadv1.aspx?pId=451&id=4692339 The good news is that this dosage should not be enough to cause organ damage, though your vet may want to take baseline bloodwork to confirm. Try to get her to vomit as quickly as you can, as this will lower the potential for symptoms. Your vet will likely also recommend a bland diet (like boiled chicken breast and rice) for a few days as well as a gastric protectant.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse