Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate a smoked ham bone a day ago. He now has small…

My dog ate a smoked...
My dog ate a smoked ham bone a day ago. He now has small amount of watery stool and tries to have bowel movement but can’t
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Please respond by email not phone call
11/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Thank you.

Are you seeing any vomiting? Is he eating and drinking well?

Eating and drinking fine. I fed him 2 pieces of bread. He hasn’t vomited but kinda gagged a bit earlier

It is highly recommended for dogs not to come in contact with cooked bones like these as they can cause severe GI upset, pancreatitis and even gastric irritation, laceration and blockages. Hopefully the cramping and inability to pass stool you're seeing is due to diarrhea and not due to a gastric blockage. The gagging you're seeing is likely due to nausea. The absolute best approach is going to be seeing your vet for diagnostics like x-rays of the abdomen, bloodwork and treatment such as antibiotics to help firm the stool, anti-nausea medication, bland food with high fiber to help solidify the stool and move the bone through the GI tract. I would discontinue the bread at this time as additional human food may cause more GI problems.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

How long will it take the bone to pass

Assuming the bone is not stuck anywhere along the way, typically anywhere from 1-5 days. If the vomiting continues, though, this will be a strong indicator of a problem and he's going to need to see your vet for diagnostics.

He hasn’t vomited just gagged a bit

Right, the gagging is a sign of nausea. If not addressed it's likely going to turn in to vomiting, though.

He’s sleeping now. I thank you for your help. If he doesn’t have a bowel movement by tomorrow am but isn’t experiencing any other distres do you suggest a vet trip

If the symptoms remain unchanged and he does not worsen, I would still go. The most important thing right now will be getting the nausea/gagging under control and helping with the cramping he's experiencing. With fibrous food, he may be passing stool well within the next 12-24 hours. Keep me posted if you need additional help. I'll check back in with you tomorrow.

Thank you so much. Talk to you tomorrow.

You're welcome. Have a great day.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Checking in. How is your companion today, Kim?