Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 11 month old puppy had diarrhea for two days. The vet…

My 11 month old puppy...
My 11 month old puppy had diarrhea for two days. The vet gave Anit diarrhea medicine and now he hasn’t pooped in 24 hours. He is happy and energetic. We walked for miles today.
11/20/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

What medication was prescribed for Harry?

How is his appetite? Still eating his normal amount and with the same enthusiasm?

he is eating well. I am not sure of the name of the anti diarrhea medicine.

Ok.

It can be very normal for a dog to not have a bowel movement for 24-48hrs after a bout of diarrhea. The bowels were completely emptied by the diarrhea and it can take 1-2 to produce stool again.

As long as he is eating well, drinking, active, not straining excessively to defecate, I would not be concerned.

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Veterinarian
Thank you.

You are very welcome!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800