Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My shin tzu ate 5mgs of melatonin. Should I induce

Hi - my shin tzu...
Hi - my shin tzu ate 5mgs of melatonin. Should I induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Melissa. She is 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Melissa?
Customer: She’s 17 pounds
11/20/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that Melissa ingested a 5mg melatonin tablet.

Can you please read the label and make sure that this is NOT the fast dissolve tablets of Melatonin with xylitol, as xylitol is toxic for dogs. Please let me know if the tablet contained xylitol.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
It does not have xylitol

Excellent, so glad to hear this tablet did NOT contain xylitol.

Melatonin is a naturally found hormone in dogs and people that helps regulate the sleep/wake cycle and is involved in seasonal shedding in dogs.

This is a medication that we do use sometimes in dogs to help them relax and sleep, and in cases that have abnormal shedding patterns related to seasonal light changes or abnormal growth hormone fluctuations. The usual dose in dogs is 2mg to 12mg per dog every 12 to 24 hours. So the dose she took was entirely appropriate for a pup her size, she just didn't need it.

You can take a watch and see approach, and no treatment may be necessary. She may just very, very sleepy for the next 12-24 hours. But I doubt even that will happen.

That should be all you need to do.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thanks a lot! That’s all. We’ll sleep well knowing that this is not life threatening. Good night!

You are very welcome, glad to help.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian