Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is having pain in passing urine and stool.. Prince 17

Hi.. my dog is having...
Hi.. my dog is having pain in passing urine and stool..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Prince 17 years, American spitz
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?
Customer: Male
11/19/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you describe what you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Prince, almost 18 years now, male, American Spitz. He has gotten really weak and lethargic last 2 days. Has intense pain while passing urine and stool also shouts in pain. His urine has blood intermittently. His penis is red in the tip area (seems infected, the white color in the photo could be because i sprayed Neosporin powder on the tip) and has some kind of worms (probably tapeworms- not sure, beaded body kinda like a pearl necklace). Please tell how to treat and what it is. I am really worried. I started treating him for UTI with cephalexin today but just observed the worms.
Please help
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am from new Delhi, India

The worms you shared look like they may be maggots, are you seeing a great deal of them?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
About 3-4 just came out of the penis. I can see a couple of more outside but couldn't remove them. Is it only the worms?And how do I treat him

I am concerned it's worse than just worms. At almost 18 years of age a great deal of concerns may be present such as liver disease, kidney disease, arthritis, tumors in the abdomen making it painful to defecate, etc. Are you able to get Prince in to see a vet?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
His hind legs are very weak, he limps while walking. However since yesterday his front legs have also gotten very weak. He's not able to walk. I have to support him front and back. Taking him to the vet is very difficult.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also he had a major issue at age 12 due to an enlarged heart which hasn't recurred since (by God's grace).Looking at the photos and seeing the symptoms what can it be?And most importantly how do I cure it?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He had no problems except a very weak left hind leg 3 days back
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
constant dripping urine (which we thought was simply due to old age). We put belly band diapers with sanitary pads to absorb the dripping urine)He was perfectly healthy 3 days back

I am concerned that he's battling arthritis along his spine and that this is causing him difficulty in comfortably passing urine and stool. Additionally, you may be seeing signs of urinary problem such as kidney disease or urinary tract infection. You may also be seeing signs of intestinal parasites, as well. A segmented body sounds more akin to what we'd see from tapeworms.

I think your best bet is going to be going to a vet, having bloodwork and x-rays done. My gut feeling is that your companion is likely nearing the end of his life since he's suffering inability to walk, urinary and fecal concerns, as well. It may be time to consider euthanasia soon. I don't think there's a cure for him that you're going to issue at home. Be that as it may, I will offer some options for you:

If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ I would also recommend talking to your vet about using canine-safe NSAID therapy as well as pain medication therapy, such as rimadyl combined with tramadol, to offer the most relief from discomfort. Bear in mind the risk involved with home medication, like aspirin, as it may worsen his condition instead of helping him. As far as the worms, I would acquire a dewormer that contains praziquantel at a petstore near you or online.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
you are suggesting he has arthritis and kidney problem/UTI and intestinal parasites. Could you please clarify if these are tapeworms or maggots. And a dewormer should suffice for the intestinal parasites?? The penis probably has a wound as well. I just checked up online if it is maggots I need to undergo PROPER TREATMENT BY THE VET. PLEASE TELL IF IT IS TAPEWORMS OR MAGGOTSAlso I am STRICTLY AGAINST EUTHANASIA. I will treat him for everything I can and take him to the vet.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It is also said that maggot wounds if untreated could be fatal. SO I ASSUME IT IS VITAL I GET THE WOUND TREATED ON THE PENIS RIGHT?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Could you please address my remaining questions

I believe there is a good chance that with his lack of walking that the pain he's experiencing may be in his back and joints, as well, yes. Arthritis, kidney problems, urinary tract infection are all three major concerns. He could have tapeworms (an intestinal parasite) as well as maggots, that's correct. Maggots are best addressed by cleaning any open wounds that are present, your vet may also want to issue an injection to help keep them off of the body such as ivomec. If they are coming from the prepuce, there may be an infected wound present there. If he's passing worms in his urine, he needs to have his urine checked. Based on the size of the worm, I presume they're in the prepuce. The dewormer will rid him of tapeworms.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I had sent you the photo of the penis area (probable maggot wound) exact ly where I saw the maggots crawling (2-3).DOES IT LOOK CRITICAL/FATAL ?Please let me know I am extremely worried.Thank you for the major insight. I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Infection in this area which could morph in to sepsis could certainly be fatal. The longer it goes untreated the higher the risk for it to be life-threatening.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks a lot for the information. I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. CAN'T EXPRESS IN WORDS.

You're quite welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Just wanted to let you know. I went to the vet today. He removed the maggots, a little part of penis is not there but the doctor said no damage to any vital organ.JUST WANTED TO THANK AGAIN. YOU ARE AN ANGEL. JUST SAVED MY BOY'S LIFE. THE INFO YOU GAVE HELPED ME REALIZE WHAT'S GOING ON AND HOW SERIOUS AND URGENT IT IS.Also the vet says there's no UTI.Tomorrow I have follow up appointment with doctor.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse