Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Bella, my 10-year-old Rottweiler/Pitbull is having bowel

issues, starting Thurs, Nov 16.Can...
Bella, my 10-year-old Rottweiler/Pitbull is having bowel issues, starting Thurs, Nov 16.Can you help me understand what is going on here? Is this a side effect of the chemo? Or, could this type of bloody diarrhea/oozing feces/swollen anus be a sign of something else going on? Here are the details:- She is currently undergoing chemo (Doxorubicin) for osteosarcoma. diarrhea started 4 days after her latest dose
- Current meds: Gabapentin, Rimadyl and Tramadol (for pain). Cerenia for nausea and now Metronidazole for the diarrhea (started it on Fri, Nov 17 PM)
- The night before we fed her some new, roasted chicken from Costco. My mom, who also ate some of the chicken without incident, mentioned it didn’t look fully cooked because there was some pink to it. Neither mom nor dad had any problems eating it. Bella stopped eating it on Sat morning.
- Thurs, Nov 16: Watery stool, released gas at the beginning too. Had to take her to the bathroom every 1-2 hours. She didn’t really want to eat anything
- Fri, Nov 17: Diarrhea is worse. Can see drops of blood now. Sometimes she’s straining to go poo, but only a few bloody drops come out. Spoke to local vet tech, who prescribes her Metronidazole. Had to leave her at home for 4 hours alone that day, came home and she had an accident on the carpet – there was no blood in it)
- Sat, Nov 18: Still watery stool, still blood in the morning. When we got home, her anus was really sensitive (I usually wipe it with a wet wipe after bathroom) and she didn’t want me to touch it. She didn’t go poo again and hasn’t since! It is now 12pm on Sun, Nov 19. I ended up buying her doggie diapers because I had to leave her at home again for a few hours. She then started oozing brown poo (no blood) out. It wasn’t a lot but enough to have to clean her up. She didn’t go out to the bathroom all night, but she had minimal oozing when I checked her diaper the next morning. Her appetite is good – she is eating a bland die of chicken and white rice.
- Sun, Nov 19: She has yet to go poo (it is now 12pm). She had a little bit of oozing of poo when we woke up in the morning. No vomiting, good appetite.
11/20/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The diarrhea you have witnessed may be due to a wide variety of things.

First things first, doxorubicin can and often does cause diarrhea in dogs following treatment. It's very common for dogs to need regular usage of metronidazole following an administration of this anti-cancer drug. If this persists, talk to your vet about keeping metronidazole on hand or having it prescribed a few days before therapy to help head off diarrhea.

Second, I want to mention that feeding roasted chicken is not advised. Not only can it cause gastric upset, but the fats and spices in these types of chicken can cause a wide variety of symptoms from nausea, vomiting and diarrhea to stress on organs like the kidneys from high sodium levels due to the brine the chickens are soaked in prior to being roasted. We do not recommend feeding any type of human food to dogs, even if they've done well with it in the past. On top of the aforementioned conditions, dogs are also prone to pancreatitis with these types of fatty meals. Given the fact that Bella is already undergoing chemo, her GI tract is apt to be more sensitive and foods like this may cause her more problems than the chemo alone would cause.

At this point, I would recommend placing her on a bland diet (make sure this is boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast and white or brown rice with no added oils, salt, spices or herbs in water--not broth), which you've done. aim for 50% chicken and 50% rice. I would also recommend bloodwork and a fecal analysis. Ask for a pancreatic profile for good measure to ensure she has not developed pancreatitis in the midst of the chemo and feeding the roasted chicken. I would discuss also adding a probiotic to her treatment, such as fortiflora canine, which can be purchased online or through your vet's office.

The symptoms you're seeing of voluminous diarrhea and later no stool being produced is quite common. We see this in the majority of animals suffering from diarrhea, humans included, where the bowels are quickly cleared of fecal material and it may be 3 or so days before the pet has any additional stool to produce from subsequent meals. So long as she's eating and drinking normally, I do not anticipate this will be of major concern. Do keep close tabs on her anal tissue. If you see any of this protruding it is cause for concern and she needs to be examined and treated promptly.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Wow - thank you so much for that extremely thorough answer. I had no clue that roasted chicken was awful for her. I feel terrible. I even mentioned it to one of my vet techs here and she just noddded, she never told me about the sodium/harm to her pancreas. I'm grateful that you shared that knowledge! With that said, I stopped her on that diet this morning and am boiling her boneless/skinless chicken breast now. However, the package said that has 15% salt/seasoning. Is that okay?

I would rinse the chicken off as best you can. It's normal for brine to be injected in to chicken these days, unfortunately. You may have to search to find one that is lower in brine content or contains none at all. Any chicken breasts with seasoning (herbs and spices) don't qualify to be used. You need bland chicken or it may exacerbate the symptoms.

Hi Junvi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse