Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog just chewed up an SOS pad but I'm not sure if she…

Customer Question
My dog just chewed...

My dog just chewed up an SOS pad but I'm not sure if she ingested any of the steel wool

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She acts fine I'm just concerned that she may have ingested some of the steel wool

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She weighs a little over 7 lbs maybe 8 lb she's a year-and-a-half-old that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/19/2017
Dog Specialist: S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org. replied 7 months ago
S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.

I'm August Abbott, State Preserve worker; owner of an animal rescue&rehab. Give a few minutes to review & respond. We'll work together on this

If she's done this within the last hour or two you can help her bring the pad or what she might have swallowed of it, up rather than wait to see if it comes out the other end.

You need 'fresh' hydrogen peroxide (3% solution ideally) and get her to swallow a good teaspoon of it (appropriate for her weight). Then keep her in a place where you can easily clean up what comes up.

This should happen within a few minutes, but if after 20 minutes you don't have her vomiting, try repeating the method.

Do your best to get the hydrogen peroxide to the very back of her throat. Two people work best: one to hold her jaw open and the other to administer the dose

Let me know how it goes