Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog had a bit of funny smell with his breath a ton the…

Customer Question
Hi my dog had...

Hi my dog had a bit of funny smell with his breath a ton the moment where I would say that there’s a slight metalic smell. We had him at the vets last week as he has diorea but that seems to be mostly clearing up however still having some issues there as well. Do you have any recommendations on what this could be? He was sick once last week however that was the only time. Thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 5 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reggie?

I guess he hasn’t been eating a great amount but he’s never been a great eater since he was 8 weeks so that’s difficult to say whether he is off food or not. I don’t know if that is useful thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/19/2017
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Reggie today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

What type of treatment did your vet prescribe for Reggie?

Just keeping him to dried food and adding a bit of weetabix to help form his poos other than that he said to keep an eye on him.

There can sometimes be an abnormal smell to a pet's breath if there is GI disease present. It is also possible that you could be smelling ketones if he is not taking in enough calories. In any case, if his stools are still an issue, there may be something more going on with his GI tract. Infections, either bacterial or viral can lead to GI disease and intestinal parasites are very common causes of GI upset in young dogs. I would advise that you follow up with your vet soon if this continues.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz.