Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Swollen mammaries. Milk? From one. Someone left our gate…

Swollen mammaries. Milk? From...

Swollen mammaries. Milk? From one. Someone left our gate open Sept. 30. She was out just a few minutes. Trying to figure out whether to expect pups, or if she's got an infection.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Clawdeen

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Clawdeen?

She's not acting like she is I'll or in distress. Our vet isn't open today.

11/19/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. 58-62 Days is the average gestation for a pregnancy. So at this time she could be around day 50 and have mammary gland development associated with a pregnancy. The kicker is that dogs can have false pregnancies. They basically have abdominal enlargement, mammary gland enlargement and even milk production, but aren’t pregnant. So is she? What you could do is have your vet take X-rays at the beginning of the week to give a yes or no to this.
I'll call our vet tomorrow and see when they can get her in for an exam. Thanks.
That sounds like a great plan! I hope all goes well!!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian