Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have been fostering a 3 year old Staffordshire

I have been fostering...

I have been fostering a 3 year old Staffordshire Terrier/Labrador mix since July. Normally she is full of energy. Early this morning I woke up to the sound of her dry heaving. She has done this before, but it was due to extra time since her last feeding. I fed her even though it was earlier than normal. She ate and seemed fine. The dry heaving may be unrelated, but I wanted to mention it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Oreo has been laying around and acting as if she doesn't feel well. She still shows interest in food and going outside. She isn't bouncing around as usual and is even ignoring playtime with her flirt pole. Normally, it's her absolute favorite pastime.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

The whites of her eyes are normal. Her gums look healthy and pink. She tested negative for heartworms in August and is up to date on her preventative. She has been spayed. She has a history of neglect and malnutrition. When she was rescued she was 20 pounds underweight and had bald patches in her coat. She was fearful of everyone and everything. She is now at a healthy weight. Her coat has grown back and is healthy and shiny. She is extremely loving, happy, and trusting. Her ears usually feel cool to the touch, but feel warm to me at the moment. She is eating, urinating, and pooping, so I don't think bloat is the culprit.

She has slept most of the day. Normally, She will reluctantly lay down and sleep or keep herself occupied with a chew toy if I need to concentrate on work. However, her default settings is exuberance regardless of our activity. She is just as excited about escorting me to the restroom as she is when it's time to go outside and play. It's not like her to choose to be lazy. I would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to her health and well being. I would like to add, even though it is the middle of the night at the moment, it shouldn't factor into her behavior. My husband works nights. Oreo and I are both used to waking up when he gets in at 3:00-4:00 in the morning. She normally knows he is home before I do, and is waiting for him at our bedroom door.
11/19/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Oreo, please?

Regretfully, her lethargy and nonproductive vomiting aren't pathognomonic of any one particular disorder.

She is still behaving as if she isn't feeling well. She is showing more interest in her twelve squeaker snake today. It's the only stuffless plush she has been unable to destroy in ten minutes. Normally, she tosses it around and shakes it back and forth. Today she is more interested in laying down and making it squeak instead. When we were outside earlier, she got excited for her flirt pole, but after a single lunge toward it, she seemed to think better of it. She sat on my foot, and waited to go back inside.This got me to thinking. My college age son is home for Thanksgiving. He played with her outside the other evening. Normally, we play with the flirt pole in the grass. I asked and he said they did play with the flirt pole under the carport. She gets really carried away... leaping and lunging after the lure. There are times she misjudges her landing and hits the ground fairly hard. I wonder if she might have taken a similar fall on the concrete. She isn't favoring a leg or anything that obvious. I ran my hands over her entire body and she didn't react as if it hurt, but she didn't show unadulterated joy at being loved on as usual either. She still hops off the side of my bed without hesitation, but where she usually takes a run and jump over my rowing machine, she is now slowing down and stepping over it.Would bruised ribs or something similar cause the same symptoms if she is a little sore?

That's certainly a reasonable differential and you can test that hypothesis by giving her a dose of aspirin at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals. Acetaminophen is OK at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn't antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

We have a pharmacy within walking distance of our house. I will send my son to pickup some aspirin. Do you mind if I keep this question open until we know she's on the mend? I will be sure to rate it to ensure you are credited once we are finished.

That sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please do return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you. I really appreciate your assistance so far today. It gives me better peace of mind, since my vet's office is closed for the weekend. Of course, if Oreo were to take a turn for the worst, I wouldn't hesitate to make an emergency visit. I just believe it should truly be an emergency before I bother her at home.

I understand. I don't hear of the need for an ER visit at this time.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Not long after I give Oreo a dose of aspirin, she starts bouncing around like always. A couple of hours later, she shows signs of slowing down. She is already getting around better today than yesterday...and better yesterday than the day before. At this rate she should be back to her usual exuberant self in another day or two.You have been very helpful. Oreo and I thank you.��

Thank you for the good update! I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.