Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate Performix SST v2X capsule. I believe it was just…

My dog ate Performix SST...
My dog ate Performix SST v2X capsule. I believe it was just one. He is acting so strangely. Will not settle down. Please help. Will he be ok?
11/19/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth - I'm so sorry your question wasn't responded to sooner - different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your Eli's problem, and want to help. To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

How is Eli acting right now?

Do you know how much he weighs approximately?

There is quite a bit of caffeine in this supplement which is probably what is affecting him, but I am checking on the other ingredients-

Hi. Thanks for responding. He is finally able to lay still. I can still notice a strange “excitement” when he is moving about the house. He isn’t quite himeself yet. He is about 50/55 lbs. He is panting a lot. I made sure he got plenty of water and made him eat around 6am.
That sounds like probably the caffeine affect, though should be under the toxic level of 20mg/kg- at 50lbs, the danger amount would be about 450mg, and 1 capsule had 150mg of caffeine. So not surprising he is jittery, but should not be heart toxic and should be wearing off soon-
Thank you so much. I worried about his heart. I’m sure he didn’t know what to do with himself. He fell asleep about an hour ago. He’s doing better. It scared me. Thanks again.
You’re welcome- Poor guy, glad Eli is getting some rest now, he should hopefully be over the worst of it.
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian
If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800
Hi Michele,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Eli. How is everything going?
Dr. Beth