Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She ate the needle cap that goes on diabete insulin

Customer Question
She ate the needle...

She ate the needle cap that goes on diabete insulin dispenser? She is acting normal. It is not stuck in her mouth. I fed her bread and she could swallow. What should I do next? what should I watch for?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Prissy and she is about 4. Weighs about 14 lbs..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Prissy?

She is active part Shitzu/Maltse.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
11/19/2017
Dog Specialist: smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
smanimalvet
smanimalvet, Dog Veterinarian

Good Evening and thank you for using our service!

For situations like this it is really best to go to an emergency clinic. The issue with needles is that they are sharp and can often penetrate the stomach or intestines. If you do not have an emergency clinic near you then you did the right thing. I would feed 2-3 slices of bread and also 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin. Watch her very closely for loss of appetite or evidence of abdominal discomfort (whining, moaning, tense abdomen).

I wish you the best of luck with Prissy. Please feel free to contact us with more questions.

Dr. B

The nearest Clinic is 2 hours.. She has eaten bread. I will go get the pumpkin. She shows no discomfort when eating and is currently sleeping like normal. How long will it be before it might pass? Should I kennel her to keep her inactive? Can she eat anything else?

It will usually take 12-24 hours to pas through. Keeping her calm and limited activity might help to keep the needle from straying off course. It is amazing what can pass through a dog's intestinal tract. I have seen 15 sewing needles pass through without incident. Best to not feed her anything else this evening.

Thanks..

Please let us know if you need anything else!