Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a miniature dachshund and her eyes are turning blue.

Hi.. I have a miniature...
Hi.. I have a miniature dachshund and her eyes are turning blue
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sophie.. age 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?
Customer: No shes healthy
11/19/2017
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing

Do you mean the iris color part of the eye is changing color or that it appears like there is a color change on the surface of the eye?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi.. it's changing on the surface. Not the iris.

Understood.

My first concern is that you may be observing some corneal edema. That is like a fluid accumulation due to inflammation on the surface of the cornea that can often be due to a injury like a corneal ulcer.

This is well worth a vet visit. A vet will likely suggest a simple eye stain test, to ensure there is no superficial injury/ulcer that needs specific topical therapy.

However, your vet should also be evaluating or any eyelid or eyelash problems that could contribute to corneal issues, as well as, possibly testing for dry eye or eye glaucoma (increased pressure in the eye).
These are all guesses, but I do think the eye stain test may be very important.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok, what if it's cat? Is there something I can do to slow them from progressing?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Cataracts

I would not recommend any over-the-counter therapies. Zero. Do not put anything in the eyes until your vet or any other vet can evaluate tomorrow or Monday.

If you observe any blepharospasm (squinting) or increased eye inflammation, go to a vet sooner.

Cataract is in the lens, not in the surface of the eye.
If cataract, generally, we don't treat. Some eye specialists will actually do lens surgery for much more advanced cases.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok, our vet mentioned possibility of cataracts this summer when she went for her check up. I'll check back I guess

Yep.

For eyes, well worth monitoring with your vet every 6 months to be safe.

Also, since cataract can predispose to glaucoma, which can be painful, that is another good reason to follow up with them.

I hope my answers have been satisfactory.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thanks

Good Luck!

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director