Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 14 week old standard schnauzer puppy is eating my

Customer Question
potbellied pig’s poop JA: I'm sorry...
My 14 week old standard schnauzer puppy is eating my potbellied pig’s poop
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Elsa is eating Morgan’s poop
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsa?
Customer: She is perfectly healthy in every way - just had her 3rd distemper and lyme shots
Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog
11/18/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 29 days ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you with this issue. Please give me a few minutes to work on an answer for you and then we can discuss any concerns.

Joan

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok - my actual concern is the effect of copraban on my potbellied pig - especially the MSG

Your Puppy has Porprophagia and is a common problem in puppies. There are a lot pf products on the market that you can feed your dog like a treat that will stop her from eating your Pot Bellied Pig's stool/ One of the older products on the Market is called Deter. It is fed like a treat and make the stool unappetising to your dog. I checked the ingredients in Deter and there are only 2 MSG and Capsicum which comes from chili pepper. This would not bother your Pot Bellied Pig. Anthor old tric I have used on some Puppies is Pineapple Chuncks. Pinapple will make stool distasetefull to your dog. So pineapple should not bother your Potbellied Pig. I am not familiar with Corproban. Many of the new producats are made from enzymes and are all natural. If you can find the ingredients on Coprobam, I can check them. My suggestion is Deter or the Pinapple to see if they work and stop the corprophagia.

Joan

I actually just found the ingrediensts and it too is MSG and Cellulace to break down the fiber in the stool itself and should not be a problem for your potbellied pig.

Most of the treatments for Corprophagia have a main ingredient of MSG which is what changes the taste and makes it undesirable.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech