Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 14 week old standard schnauzer puppy is eating my

Customer Question
My 14 week old...

My 14 week old standard schnauzer puppy is eating my potbellied pig’s poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Elsa is eating Morgan’s poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsa?

She is perfectly healthy in every way - just had her 3rd distemper and lyme shots

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/18/2017
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you with this issue. Please give me a few minutes to work on an answer for you and then we can discuss any concerns.

Joan

Ok - my actual concern is the effect of copraban on my potbellied pig - especially the MSG

Your Puppy has Porprophagia and is a common problem in puppies. There are a lot pf products on the market that you can feed your dog like a treat that will stop her from eating your Pot Bellied Pig's stool/ One of the older products on the Market is called Deter. It is fed like a treat and make the stool unappetising to your dog. I checked the ingredients in Deter and there are only 2 MSG and Capsicum which comes from chili pepper. This would not bother your Pot Bellied Pig. Anthor old tric I have used on some Puppies is Pineapple Chuncks. Pinapple will make stool distasetefull to your dog. So pineapple should not bother your Potbellied Pig. I am not familiar with Corproban. Many of the new producats are made from enzymes and are all natural. If you can find the ingredients on Coprobam, I can check them. My suggestion is Deter or the Pinapple to see if they work and stop the corprophagia.

Joan

I actually just found the ingrediensts and it too is MSG and Cellulace to break down the fiber in the stool itself and should not be a problem for your potbellied pig.

Most of the treatments for Corprophagia have a main ingredient of MSG which is what changes the taste and makes it undesirable.

Joan