Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Pom has a slow healing radial ulna Fx I can’t afford

surgery. Don’t know it will...
My Pom has a slow healing radial ulna Fx I can’t afford surgery. Don’t know it will be nonunion. We’re 2 months in. ... I need a conservative tx I don’t want to amputate. He’s in a splint now and seems to be improving. I wonder if a brace later on will suffice
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: I need conservative treatment ideas if this leg doesn’t heal like the vet would like. My dog is too happy and active even with the splint. There is some calcification. I don’t believe amputation is the only option just because I can’t afford the expensive surgery
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Riley
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Riley?
Customer: No he’s a Pomerania I’m told this is a common injury for that breed
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you happen to have x-rays of the limb?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Not th recent one

When was the last x-ray taken?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Last week

That's recent enough. Do you have a copy to share? If not, how did your vet feel he was healing? Is there signs of calcification?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
there is calcification she thinks it’s slow but I’m a nurse as well and there is a lot more calcification than there was last month this is month 2. She sent it to a specialist friend but I told her that kind of surgical treatment is not affordable. Then she mentioned amputation my concern is that it’s not even close to 6 months and she talking about nonunion fx with calcification present

She may have been looking for confirmation that more time and more calcification may stabilize the bone. Depending on where the bone is broken, how stable the leg, tendon/nerve damage presence, etc may determine if use of a brace will work in the future if it does not heal naturally. My suspicion is that, yes, a brace is be possible. I would recommend visiting http://www.orthopets.com and looking at their brace options. This company not only works in braces but also prosthetics. If they do not have a standard brace that they can sell to you that would work for Riley's needs, my anticipation is that they could create one. Alas, the more effort put in to the brace the higher the cost (which might bring you up to the cost of just having surgery performed, if it's needed). There are other lower-cost companies to look at with braces, as well, here's an example: https://www.chewy.com/handicappedpets-front-leg-dog-cat/dp/150049?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=HandicappedPets&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQiAus_QBRDgARIsAIRGNGg-_iK-nVpY6dzSP65CdfuudHpxuKSXrsoVvyrTk8UsIkBeXMSAeMgaAvIjEALw_wcB

Something to also consider is looking at financial aid for the cost of surgery, assuming its needed, or financing. It'd be irresponsible of me to suggest only bracing if surgery was needed and financially possible with financial aid you might qualify for:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thank you. You have been a huge help!!
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse