Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 13 lb Pomeranian just ate my chocolate peanut butter

Hi. My 13 lb Pomeranian...
Hi. My 13 lb Pomeranian just ate my chocolate peanut butter flavored protein bar that is 2.4ounces. He’s acting fine but it’s only been 5 min. We are about to leave for a family trip, 6 hours in Car and I’m so worried about him becoming ill on the way. Can you help?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No, he’s otherwise healthy
11/18/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was it milk or dark chocolate?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I attached a photo of the ingredients
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Are you able to help? Still there?

Hello again,

Now I have had a peek and there doesn't seem to be much chocolate in this. So we likely only have a low dose exposure for your lad. So, neurological or breathing difficulty signs are less likely but we could see GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea) in the next 4-24 hours.

Now, we have a few options to consider given our time frame. We could eff on the side of caution and get this up right now. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorphine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also consider administering activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And yes I am still here but as you can see was typing out options to offset any risk before you travel with him

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
even with the low dose, you would recommend inducing vomiting?

Hello again,

I would since you are going to be away from his regular vet. We just don't want a situation where he has profuse vomiting/diarrhea during travel.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome, my dear.

Just one more quick thought, consider putting him on a small dose of Dramamine (more info/dose HERE) after we have gotten this all back up. That will reduce nausea but also help with any travel sickness he may be prone to.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian