Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been yelping every now and then when you pick him

Hi, my dog has been...
Hi, my dog has been yelping every now and then when you pick him up especially when touch him by the back end of his rib cage. Otherwise he was fine. Since yesterday he cries out when he moves, when he tries to lick his genitals or when you try and pick him up. He is a wire haired fox terrier. His tail is up and wagging, he eats and pass utine. Althought weve seen few times that he drips a little bit of urine but not all the time. Nothing feels broken but he seems to complain the most when you try snd touch his back hind leg. Can you help?
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

While this must necessarily be conjecture because I can't examine your WFT hands-on, degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be an important differential diagnosis in such a miniature dog. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking/panting (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in his back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". His vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about your dog's spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), he would need the attention of his vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you for your reply. I am worried though that it might be something else. We have felt and pressed along his bank etc but he seems fine. He is walking and jumping up and down without any problem. The problem seems to be towards the back of his ribs when picked up. He yelps mostly when he is lying down or trying to lick himself. And it seems to be that the problem is more on the right hand side. He suffers from skin allergies as well and has infections in his feet on and off. He is on Atopica and when we lived in Zimbabwe he had a lot of cortisone. Not sure if the problems is more to do with his liver / or kidneys. We will take him to a vet on Monday if this persists. But unfortunately we live in Mozambique and care here is not great in the line of scans and testing. Thank you once again.

I understand your logistical constraints. You may be right, of course. I'm handicapped as you understand.

Hi Endri,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Hendrika Botes. How is everything going?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
My dog had a severe kidney infection and blocked anal glands.
Thank you. I am finished with this question.

Ouch. Thank you for letting me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian