Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

He had A parasite and we took him to the vet for antibiotics…

He had A parasite...

He had A parasite and we took him to the vet for antibiotics because he was throwing up and diarrhea . He finally got his appetite back and stopped throwing up and diarreah. A week later he is licking and throwing up and has diarreah . He ate a bunch of carpet while we were at work and now he has diarreah and throwing up again. I can’t afford to take him back to the vet . I don’t know what to do .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Duke is a 3 year old lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Duke?

He just had gerdia or whatever that parasite is called and the vet blood test revealed a low platelet count

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
11/18/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this is quite worrying as these signs may be a relapse if the treatment didn't clear the Giardia but we could also have a partial blockage if he hasn't brought up all that carpet. Now at this point, since he has so recently been seen, you can ring Duke's vet about dispensing further treatment +/- bring in a stool sample (without Duke having to come in) to make sure the parasite is not still a problem.

Otherwise, we need to start supportive care. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/ diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker, help push any carpet in the gut through, and support digestion. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Furthermore, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, Duke's signs raise worries of a relapse but a possible blockage is also a worry. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach and ring his vet about further treatment to see if we can get him fully settled and back to normal.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Do you think he may have relapsed and is that common? He has blood in his stool like he did before and so I think he might still have the parasite disease. We did get a new puppy and I don’t know if that has anything to do with it.the vet charges a to. Every time we go back and want to run all these irrelevant tests that costs hundreds of dollars instead of just treating the issue. I’m broke I need to just fix it on my own.

Hello again,

Its not uncommon. It does depend on the course length, dose, and how high a Giardia burden he had (or if there was risk of reinfection at home). And it is quite likely their new puppy brought it home as a carrier, so you need to make sure he is also being treated. And with regards ***** ***** you do get to decide which tests they do. So, if costs are a concern, let your vet know as they should be working with you to sort this without breaking the bank. Otherwise, again you should have no issue ringing for a longer course and the above is all over the counter for you to use.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
My new puppy is not showing any signs or symptoms of the parasite disease , so I’m not certain he has it . Duke was on the medication for 2 weeks and immediately looked better . Then out of nowhere he starts throwing up again. If I do another follow up stool test it’s 80 bucks plus another refill would be another 80 bucks . But I’m afraid the stool test won’t reveal he still has parasite disease and the vet will try to convince me it’s an obstruction. They’ve taken quite a bit of my money . They wanted to treat Duke for Tick disease because of his low blood platelet count . But we haven’t given him the medication to that yet . A blood test revealed that he was borderline so I went ahead and bought the meds but he’s been throwing up. Could it also be rock disease causing this or most likely a relapse ?
I mean tick disease not rock

Hello again,

They don't always show signs as carriers. And I have to say it is such a common means of infection for the established dog, so just because the pup seems well I'd not assume he isn't carrying the Giardia and possibly even reinfecting Duke. So, perhaps you could choose to treat them both (even using Panacur/Fenbendazole as costs are a concern and most vets will dispense that OTC provided they have a recent weight for the dogs). And its more likely that is the cause here as most tick borne diseases cause fever/lethargy not GI signs. That all said, if you have this less then ideal relationship with your vet, it'd be worth considering another local vet. You need to be a team together and it doesn't sound like you are one there. Finally, just as a possible means of getting him seen else where, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

We’ve already spent so much money here and it’d be more expensive to pay the copay and stuff at another vet . I plan on choosing another vet once Duke is fully treated . Is there any way to just treat them over the counter without going to the vet to save money ?

Hi again,

That is understandable. Anyway, above I've already given you all the OTC options you can use for reducing his nausea and diarrhea. And as I noted a moment ago, Panacur/Fenbendazole is going to be the only Giardia treating option you can request at the vets (or see if a large pet store or online has it) to use in this case.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Thank you so much for your help .

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian