Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My female (4) keeps panting and won’t settle. She is

My female (4) keeps...

My female (4) keeps panting and won’t settle. She is attached to me at the hip 24/7.....she seems to be staying away. Looks like she can’t get comfortable. I noticed my male showing interest in her private spot, licking at her and then his mouth quivers. She is fixed also

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Ida

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ida?

She is high anxiety

11/18/2017
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Male dogs usually only show interest in fixed females in this manner if they detect blood in the area. There can be a couple of reasons for blood in the area. Usually this type of behavior from the male indicates the female may have a urinary tract infection and there is a little blood coming from the urethra leading the male to believe the female is in heat. Male dogs will lick a female, follow her around and even mount her even if she is fixed when there is blood in the area of the vulva.

Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem if your dog is displaying 2 or more of the above symptoms.. bladder stones and crystals might also cause some bleeding from the urethra but testing for a UTI will show that cause up as well.

Another possible cause is stump pyometra (uterine infection) from a spay operations where a piece of the females reproductive tissue was left behind by accident. It does happen from time to time and when it does a female will smell like she is in heat to male dogs. Read about this here:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/local_resources/pdfs/repro_pdfs/cestumppyogranu-1.pdf

Now some male dogs will also react to blood coming from the rectum which can happen if fecal matter is too hard, parasites are present or other causes of rectal bleeding. Since she won't settle either and seems to be uncomfortable, if she has any other symptoms, I'd suspect a urinary tract infection.

Since it is a Saturday, I would try to get her in to see a vet first thing this morning to help avoid an emergency visit if she should be unable to urinate later which is considered an emergency. As long as she can eliminate, a UTI is not considered an emergency. Pyometra can be considered an emergency though.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

Ida has been fixed since she was a pup. She is acting normal otherwise. She’s happy, running around, wagging her tail, has a wet nose.

If she won't settle down and is panting, she is uncomfortable which might indicate some pain in the rear area that might be associated with a urinary tract infection or stump pyometra. This would not be normal behavior. Many dogs with a uti only have a couple of symptoms. With two dogs you might not notice an increase in thirst immediately. If the problem is just starting she might not have that many symptoms yet either.

Male dogs are usually only very interested in a female's vulva and become obsessed with licking and quivering when there is the smell of blood in the area. Often the amount of blood they smell is so small that we do not see any at all. If you do not wish to take her in to the vet at this point, most vets will run a urinalysis if you catch a fresh urine sample and bring it in if you have a regular vet.

Two antibiotics that are commonly used are cephalexin (Keflex) and Enrofloxacin (Baytril.

You can read about Keflex and dosages here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/cephalexin-keflex-for-dogs-and-cats

You can read about Baytril and dosages here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/enrofloxacin-baytril

This site discusses UTI’s and various medications used for treatments.

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WSAVA2003&PID=6538&O=Generic

There are also holistic approaches to uti treatment which you can read about here:

http://www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/urinary-tract-infections.htm

http://beingstray.com/dogs/home-remedies-for-dogs-urinary-tract-infection/