Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My border collie 3 yrs old (rescue dog) spins until she

Customer Question
My border collie 3...

My border collie 3 yrs old (rescue dog) spins until she pants, she is dearly loved and well fed with nourishing food but the spinning continues. How can we get her to stop?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Jess

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jess?

Only that we know she was kept in a shed fir two years and never git ou,

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/18/2017
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 8 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How long has this been a concern?

Does she spin all the time or only if excited?

Have any medications been tried?

Has a behavioral consult been done with a behaviorist?

Is she spinning only or chasing her tail?

How long have you owned Jess?

How much structured exercise does she receive per day (fetch, jogging, running, agility, etc)?

We think she spins when excited or bored. She gets nourishing food, gets 2 x 40 minute walks each day, we have not tried any medication, we gave had her 7 months and she had come a long way except for the spinning and she is frightened of cats, sees them as a threat and wants to attack them

How long has this been a concern?

How frequently do you see her spin?

Can you answer the additional questions above for me? This will help me to best assist you.

Spinning is often a compulsive behavior and it's not uncommon for us to see this in dogs who are stereotypically active or in need of a great deal of stimulation. The border collie tops this list as they are a dog bred for work and when they live an under-stimulated life they can easily begin showing behavioral concerns. Before opting for behavioral medications, I would recommend that you increase her exercise exponentially. Aim for 1 hour of hard play each day (fetch, running, etc) which should not include her walks. Walking is mild exercise and she likely needs more rigorous exercise. As the saying goes: "A tired dog is a good dog". This should help to cut back on spinning due to excitement or boredom. You might also try puzzle games with her and such to mentally stimulate her and keep her focused on other things aside from spinning. Some owners will feed only through puzzles, games and toys so that a dog is forced to put in work to eat.

If this reaches a point that you need pharmacological assistance, I would recommend talking to your vet about behavioral medications like prozac, buspar, elavil, etc. These can take as much as 4-6 months to fully benefit the pet, but often they result in an improvement of behavior. I would also recommend a behaviorist consult before going the route of medication, as well. If you need help finding one in your area, please let me know.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800