Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He has seemed depressed, his skin in his backlooks tight and…

He has seemed depressed...

He has seemed depressed , his skin in his backlooks tight and wrinkly. His hair is falling out and limps a lil bit. His breathing at night seems more rapid than usual.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I just checked. I don't see one.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sammy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sammy?

Oh yes, i almost forgot. He has done scabby lessons under his mouth

11/18/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

How old is Sammy?

Any known illness or injury?

Is Sammy on any medication at this time?

He's 8 months old, cane cord American bull dog mix. I will take pic now and upload.

Any known illness or injury?

No injury or illness and no medications.

I'll be standing by for pictures.

I sent not sure if you received them
Thx for your patience

Doesn't look like they attached.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

There we go. One attached.

Pic 735 attached. Did you have others, as well?

the 0072 pic you just shared, it's blurry but looks like you're seeing welts in the coat, is this correct?

More like ripples
I guess they could be welts.

Thank you for the additional information. Where are you seeing the hair loss? Is he scratching at all or licking his paws?

he does lick his paws, scratches and chews his back.
Hair loss happens after bath and as we pet him .throughout the day.

Thank you. And, finally, what flea prevention is he currently on and when was it last dosed?

He's not on any. His last dose was in July. It was a monthly treatment.

And when did the symptoms you're seeing begin?

Those welts feel warm as I Touch him. About 2 days ago.

The pictures and history you've shared all point directly to allergies, especially the chin lesion and the "ripples" in the coat. Those ripples are known as urticaria and can be intensely itchy and feel warm to the touch due to inflammation of the skin. I would recommend that you give 2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours to help with the urticaria. After the urticaria has resolved, I'd switch him over to Zyrtec. Dosing info here: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf This should help to keep the itching at bay. Allergies are commonly environmental with bully breed dogs but can also be due to sensitivity to flea bites, sensitivities to ingredients in the pet's food, etc. If the antihistamines and home therapy does not work, I would recommend a veterinary visit. They may wish to try medications like atopica, apoquel or cytopoint for the itching. I would also use flea prevention year round to be sure this is not an additional concern for him. You can also bathe twice monthy with dawn dish soap to remove allergens which may have gathered on the coat.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Wow, that makes sense. OK I'll do that. I was really sad with this issue. I'm glad I asked on this sight. I'll sleep better and so will he. Have an awesome thanksgiving!

You, too. Good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Hi it's going well. The benadryl has been working. I think he may have had an allergic reaction to new treats I bought. His dog food has been the same since he was able to eat dry food. Thank you again and Happy. Holidays.