Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Our 9 year old Schnauzer is having trouble with night

vision. Is there anything...
Our 9 year old Schnauzer is having trouble with night vision. Is there anything we can do to slow the progression of his vision impairment?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Schnauzer?
Customer: He is in good health. His only problem is his vision
JA: Where does the Schnauzer seem to hurt?
Customer: No pain
JA: What is the Schnauzer's name?
Customer: Max
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Max?
Customer: I've had Max examined by my vet who comes to the house. She has checked his hearing, general exam, and vision in the light. She has diagnosed that Max is having issues when the light is poor. we have installed motion doctor lights at the steps by the porch and try to keep lights on for Max. W
11/18/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Did your vet perform any bloodwork on Max?
2) What food is Max currently eating?
3) Do you own other dogs?
4) Does Max do well outside at night or does he become lost?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Max is the sweetest Schnauzer ever. The vet examined him just last week. He had his teeth cleaned in August and had blood work that was all good.
He eats Kirkland chicken,rice and vegetable kibble (small dog). In the morning he gets 1/4 cup kibble mixed with 1/4 cup of my homemade dog food. My homemade food is made with low sodium chicken broth, rice,ground lamb, shredded carrots and olive oil. At night he gets 1/2 cup kibble.
We have 2 other dogs - 9 yo Westie and 11 month old Westie
Max seems ok at night outside. Our yard is well lit. His only problem was that he would not come up the 6 steps at the porch. My husband installed a motion detector light there and that has worked well. Our back yard is fenced so Max doesn’t get lost. He’s used to walking the perimeter.
Max is not acting sick. Appetite is good. He still plays with our new puppy. It’s just his vision. Last evening I think he got lost in the dark computer room in our house.

When did he begin losing his visual acuity?

Has the 6 steps on the porch been addressed with the motion detector?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
It’s maybe been 2 months, maybe a little less, that we’ve noticed his hesitation to come up steps when low light. I have to really persuade him to come up stairs to bead room. I have to stand at top of steps and say “come on, you candi it”. He has no trouble coming up steps once he gets started. The steps are carpeted.
The motion detector light has solved the outside step issue.

The first thing I would recommend doing is having an examination performed by a ophthalmologist to ensure there is nothing structurally wrong with the eyes that need to be addressed. Although your vet has examined Max's eyes, an ophthalmologist will have a more keen eye (pardon the pun) for small changes and they'll be the one to best advise you on supplements which may help. Failing this, I would look into a few different products such as:

1) CGB by Thorne Labs-This is a natural supplement to support the aging body, as well as help with vision: https://www.thorne.com/products/animal-health/dp/canine-geriatric-basics it can be used along side an ocular support supplement like 2) https://iheartdogs.com/product/project-paws-eye-vision-support-formula-for-dogs-75-ct/

You can also add raw veggies and fruits to the food mix you're using along with carrots such as blueberries, leafy greens (like kale) and the occasional orange slice as a treat. You can also begin using omega fatty acids (like salmon oil), as well as eggs.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse