Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My little poodle won't eat or drink just wants sleep. His…

My little poodle won't...

My little poodle won't eat or drink just wants sleep. His lower jaw quivers. Been going on a couple days now. Don't know what to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Little Bit. He is a shelter dog we have him about 7years have no idea how hold is. Up till a couple days ago he was very lovely and enerjitic

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not that I can think of

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/18/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Little Bit is unwell, hopefully this is something minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic, has tremors and has lost his appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Little Bit's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Thank you
Thank you so much. I will take him to our in the morning

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?