Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He ate 60 Gaviscon tabs. He broke into a full bottle. He…

He ate 60 Gaviscon...

He ate 60 Gaviscon tabs. He broke into a full bottle. He weighs 130 lbs and is 3 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Maxi. He’s a Great Pyrenees.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He ate them about 2or 3 hours ago and I haven’t noticed any symptoms. He had a full tummy from supper at the time

11/18/2017
Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Beth and I'll do my best to help you today! To make sure I don't miss anything, please give me a moment to review your question - I am not the fastest typist so it may take me a few moments to type out a response.

Thank you for trusting us with your questions, this service is used for general information only and is not a substitute for a veterinarian patient relationship by examination.

It will take me a moment to look up the active ingredient in the drug formulary - has he vomited at all?

Any breathing changes or seem to be like his usual self?

He seems to be completely normal

Perfect -

So it helps that he is a big boy, and thankfully for the ingredients in the product, even this large amount would not be considered toxic/poisonous.

However, with a large amount some dogs can show GI effects that could range from constipation to diarrhea, or you may get lucky and not see anything at all. If something comes up in the next few days where he seems constipated or develops diarrhea, we usually just do supportive care (like a bit of metamucil or immodium if they seemed to need it).

I don't think it is anything that you need to worry about rushing him out to emergency for, but if for some strange reason something changes with his breathing or her develops significant GI upset, you may need to have him evaluated in person.

Does that help?

That’s very reassuring. I took a long time to respond because I didn’t know how this works and I was waiting for a reply in the wrong place. My apologies. I feel a lot less worried now.

Not a problem - I would have worried too - but thankfully this one is generally not a big deal.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

If the information I've provided has been helpful, I hope you'll take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking on the star rating system (or if you are not seeing the stars you can leave a written rating of 1-5, 5 being great service). Until you issue a rating of 3 or better, the website will not compensate me for helping you, and taking the time to answer these questions helps me to support my family. You'll still be able to chat with me even after giving a rating, at no further charge on this thread. My goal is to give you 5 star service - keep in mind you are rating only my help, not any site or interface issues you might have. It is valuable feedback for me and for other pet owners as they seek help for their pets.

If you'd like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drbethg/?rpt=3800

Dr. Beth
Dr. Beth, Veterinarian