Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

How do I get my dog to stop licking and jumping on us when…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get my dog to stop licking and jumping on us when we get home or when she is excited or visitors come. She always likes to lick everyones face and like bites the air or licks the air.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

River, she is 4.5 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

River

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about River?

We are also having a problem with her anal glands. We dont believe her stools are hard enough to express her anal gland.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog
11/18/2017
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 10 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

What breed is River?

How much does she weigh?

When is she biting the air and licking the air?

What have you tried so far to correct the various problems you are having?

I do want to summarize the issues which are jumping on visitors, licking them, she bites and licks the air and has anal gland issues you believe.

River is a foxhound shepard mixShe weighs about 25poundsShe bites and licks the air mostly when visitors first arrive or when we just get home. But she always wants to jump and lick our face when she is excited. My guess is anxiety or something. And at times its like she wants to snip at your face...but lick it too....its odd.
When we first get home we try not to reward the jumping or licking behavior and only pet her when all 4 paws are on the ground. For the licking we tell her no and walk away.
Nothing seems to work.
Also, i make sure to frequently play with her and give her regular exercise....she is not an overly energetic pup, just has this licking/jumping issue. We also are going to puppy training and she does well with the down command....but you have to tell her down frequently. And nothing stops the licking.AndThe odor from her rear end smells very fishy and is awful. She does not scoot her butt on ground, but she ocassionally will lick her rectum. She eats Blue Buffalo Basics grain free puppy food with only 1 protein source...turkey!
I also give pumpkin treats during day.

Thanks for all that additional information. It is helpful.

Dogs lick the top dog as a show of respect. So your dog trying to jump up and lick your face may be his way of acknowledging the humans as higher than him in the family hierarchy though it can also be a way of initiating play as well since pups nip and lick at their mother's face to get them to play with them. So that might also be the case.

In any case, obedience training should help curtail both the jumping and the licking/nip situation as well. You will be having your dog sit or lay down when you first come home or guest arrive. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

When first teaching her to sit at the door when visitors come, you can slip the leash under your foot, have her sit and use the leash to keep her in that spot in a sit or down position as you open the door. Initially she will fight it, but soon will realize it doesn't do any good to try and move away and will stay. When she does that reward her. Have visitors reward her as well.

They also make a no jump harness that will stop jumping as well. See one here:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Jump-Dog-Harness-Downtown-Pet-Supply/159663234

Until your dog is obedience trained, there is a method I've used for over 15 years and is very effective and not cruel for a dog that jumps on people. It cures even the most stubborn large dog. However, everyone in the family will have to be consistent until he learns it is not acceptable.

What you will be doing is putting one knee up to waist level any time you see the dog start to jump up. Put it up before the dog is close to you, so he sees it. YOU DO NOT KNEE THE DOG. Instead you put your knee up long before he reaches you and he jumps onto your knee generally hitting himself in the chest as a result. Since your knee is up and you aren't moving when it happens, he does not interpret it as something you are doing. At the same time you need to say in a low toned firm voice, NO JUMP. He'll learn that when he jumps, he ends up hitting his chest and will associate NO JUMP with that feeling and learn to not jump on people. He may still dance around on his hind legs, but they do usually learn not to touch the person. Again, I want to stress that the knee should not be used to hit the dog, but instead let the dog run into the knee.

Your dog may try and come at you from the side, but just shift position until he learns that he can't jump. You should also start teaching him that he will not get petted or get treats or affection or even talked to unless he is calm and he works for them by sitting or laying down.

If she is sitting she won't be licking you. Now the licking the air is a sign that your dog has nausea or a problem with anemia, a liver issue, or even a seizure problem. It may just be that she is anxious and has a little nausea during those times she is licking the air.

For the anal gland issue, you have to firm up her feces. I know you are giving pumpkin treats but I would give canned pumpkin (not pie filling) in her food daily to help firm up the feces but still keep it pliable. Metamucil will do the same thing so that is another option. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it.

Excellent site on anal glands

http://www.marvistavet.com/anal-sacs.pml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2Zm-KwKy4

Give my suggestions a try and I'm sure you will find her improving pretty quickly. I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 9 months ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

Still having trouble with all of the above. Sorry it took a while to reply, I wanted to test out some of your recommendations.
We do probiotics and pumpkin for River and also tried metamucil and still have VERY soft stools. (Shes around 25 lbs and getting 1tbsp a day)We have already instilled the NILF program for her when we started puppy level 1 class for her. We did sign up for Puppy level 2...even the trainer said "wow is she this stubborn all the time" in which I replied...."Oh, this is actually pretty good compared to 6 weeks ago"The jumping, licking thing has not changed ONE BIT with above methods. She doesnt care to take a knee to the chest.She also is not treat motivated either. Sometimes I could literally stick the treat in her jowls to try to get her attention and she doesnt even flinch. She is just so focused on whatever she is looking at or doing etc.This is not a HIGHLY energic dog by any means, im educating myself on training and going to classes....but this is by far the HARDEST dog i have ever had to teach. (And I have had other hounds)I am crossing my fingers, trying to be patient, persistant and just hoping one day she gets it.Im at a loss.

I'm sorry to hear that the methods have not worked so far but it has only been less than 2 weeks and she isn't even 6 months old so she is very much a puppy. In addition, everyone around the dog needs to be consistent when a dog is exhibiting bad behavior. Since your dog is not treat motivated you need to make her more interested in food. This means cutting back on her normal meals or even eliminating them completely and using the normal kibble as the reward for training. Also hot dog slivers are usually a great treat as well. Not sure if you tried hot dog slivers but you might try them again after stopping her normal meal times. If she is hungry she will be more food motivated.

I'm also really surprised that the no jump harness did nothing. They are designed specifically to limit the dogs ability to extend the rear legs and thus stop jumping. If you failed to try it, I would try that to limit her jumping. It will help get her in the habit of NOT jumping.

Since metamucil isn't helping keep your dog's feces normalized you may have to have her tested for exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) since it can prevent a dog from having firm bowel movements. German Shepherd Dogs are prone to a condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). It's fairly common in GSDs. It does involve the pancreas not working properly and as a result food is not broken down and not absorbed well. There is no clear reason why the pancreas atrophy, but it is believed to be hereditary in GSD's. Since your dog is a shepherd mix, it is a possibility.

There is a blood test called Trypsin-like Immunoreactivity (TLI) that can be used to diagnose EPI as dogs with EPI have low TLI levels. Treatment will be a low fat and fiber diet and a pancreatic enzyme powder mixed in the food to aid in digestion. Most dogs will need treatment for life and sometimes have a bacterial infection as well and need treatment with an antibiotic for a week or so as well. You can read more about this here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/exocrine-pancreatic-insufficiency-in-dogs-epi/

I would have that checked out since other proven methods are not working to keep the feces firm.

She should be maturing a lot in the next month or two and settling down just a little. At around a year she will settle down a lot more. In most cases I am against training collars but if a dog is very stubborn, they can be a good training aid but they do need to be used properly. If you are against shock collars you can use a citronella spray training collar. If you do try a training collar watch the videos that come with collars and read a few sites on the subject so you are wearing it properly. Here are a few.

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-an-Electronic-Dog-Training-Collar

http://www.puppy-training-solutions.com/electronic-dog-training-collar.html

Both shepherds and hounds are pretty strong willed and hard headed but once they learn something, it sticks. I suspect you are using traditional training methods and that is what I recommend as well. However when they do not work you can switch to a different method such as clicker training. It does employ a different method of training and takes a bit longer but many trainers believe clicker training is the best way of training. While I believe in a balanced approach I do recognize that some dogs learn better with another method and your dog may be one of these. Read more on clicker training here:

http://www.clickerlessons.com/

This site has actual videos on clicker training and the way to start it.

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/clicker-training-videos.htm

I hope you will reconsider the negative rating especially since it has only been less than 2 weeks so far and isheis a fairly young pup.. It does affect my standing negatively. I supplied a lot of good advice and am more than willing to continue to help you with these issues. Definitely get her tested for EPI since she still has loose stools despite having probiotics and fecal firming additives like pumpkin and metamucil.