PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is a stafford terrier with lab mix. She’s only 5

HI My dog is a stafford terrier with lab mix. She’s only 5 months she’s just got spayed 5 days ago.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: It’s seems that she’s trying to vomit and she doesn’t wanna eat her food
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mysa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mysa?
Customer: She’s crying and it seems that something is hurting her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IN HER spayed scar. She has like bump, the scar kind of opened a little bit, but it seems that she has a ball or something right there

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Can you share a picture of the bump you're seeing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We adopted her on Monday and she got spayed the day before, she got all her vaccines that day too. She has new food since that day. Also torn up toys, and yesterday we gave her a little bit of cooked rice.
Right now she pooped and her stomach seems to be less floated, she’s very weak and doesn’t want to play. Everything's been new for her

It looks like this bump is just a pucker in the suturing. Once fully healed it should lay flat. I don't see any reason for concern in the pictures alone.

There are a great deal of concerns here from the spay and vaccines to getting a new home, new food, new toys that she's torn up, etc. Since you describe that she is very weak, I would take her to your local ER for treatment overnight. Generally GI upsets can be treated and monitored at home but with the recent surgery the potential does exist for her to damage some of the fragile sutures inside her body and cause bleeding.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. The wound is not hurting her but we were thinking about Canil cough cause she keeps hacking up spit. Now she’s falling asleep. How many times a day we should feed her? Since today she only eat twice.

If she's bringing up phlegm and not food this may be kennel cough. Now, are you seeing coughing or vomiting?

At 5 months of age, she can eat twice daily (morning and night) but if she's feeling unwell I would feel smaller meals more frequently.

If she's bringing up the majority of her food, this sounds like a GI upset. If she's coughing up phlegm, though, this sounds more like kennel cough. Most kennel cough cases are viral, but secondary bacterial bronchopneumonia can develop and become a major health hazard for dogs. In some more severe cases, hospitalization may be needed. If you feel her symptoms more closely mimic kennel cough, I would recommend an exam and having your vet start your companion on antibiotics to prevent more problems in the near future. As far as calming the coughing, for the time being you can use robitussin at the following dosage: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1395 Every vet has a different kennel cough treatment protocol and may ask you to either continue or discontinue the robitussin once examined.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems that she tries to vomit but she can’t. She doesn’t bring up any food is just spit..
thank you very much