Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My pug doesn't want to lift his head, I was scratching his…

Customer Question
My pug doesn't want...

My pug doesn't want to lift his head, I was scratching his neck earlier, and he was loving it; then he crirs as if I hurt him. I checked the area,there were no open sores or anything of the sort. He wouldn't lift his head even when I offered him his favorite treat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Hachi and he's 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hachi?

Not necessarily. Hes been in perfect health

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
11/17/2017
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Has he ever displayed any soreness around the back area?

when you call his name , does he only look at you with the eyes?

He does display somr soreness around the back of his neck. Yes,he tries to move his head; but he only moves his eyes

Hello and thank you for your response. I am sorry I was not on line at the time your reply came through.

What I am thinking is that there may be a problem with one of the discs in the neck causing pain. What happens is there is a soft tissue that cushions the discs. Sometimes this soft tissue turns hard and that presses on the nerve causing pain when the neck is moved. In some cases an x ray will show this, in other cases a myelogram needs to be done to see it.

I would try giving her an aspirin ( or a baby aspirin) and makeing sure she does not jump up or play, take her out for potty reasons only. Aspirin can only be used short term or stomach ulcers can result. Make sure it is plain aspirin and not ibuprofen or tylenol, acetaminophen. Give the aspirin with food. Even if you see improvement you should see your Vet for a safer alternative to aspirin such as rimadyl and pain meds.

In some cases the Timadyl and pain meds are not enough and steroids need to be given.

Here you can read more on the Intervertebral disc disease. It explains things very well from cause to treatments.

http://neck area https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-the-cervical-area-in-dogs/