Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has been acting a bit strange lately, she's been

hesitant to come in from...
My dog has been acting a bit strange lately, she's been hesitant to come in from outside but she's just laying out there and doesn't make an effort to go to the bathroom. It got worse this morning it took me about 10 mins to get her too come in and the minute she did she walked 5 feet inside and laid down and wouldn't eat a treat or bother with water and was shaking, she laid there for about 15 mins before I could get her upstairs and have her lay in my bed and she shakes if I pet her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kira, she's 8 yrs old, and a German Shepard-collie mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kira?
Customer: I noticed small traces of red in her stools last week, and I've recently pulled a tick off of her, seems too have healed well in a week
11/17/2017
Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter, Veterinarian
Hi I am Dr Pulter. Can you answer a few questions? What does it look like when she is walking? Has she been to the vet recently? Any bloodwork done? Any significant medical history? Any medications she is taking?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I didn't notice much when she's walking besides the fact she's not being her usual energetic self, I havent had her to the vet yet this year but as far as I know she's doesn't have anything significant and no meds, originally started taking care of her at the age of 4 so I'm not sure exactly of anything before then
Ok. Can you check her gum color for me? Also any vomiting or diarrhea today?
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
No vomiting or diarrhea, and her gums look normal, brown/pink
Ok great. Lethargy is definitely a concerning sign. When pets don't want to get up and move there could be a lot of different things going on. I will list a few here but ultimately she will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a physical. Some of the causes are musculoskeletal such as arthritis, infectious arthritis ( Lyme disease or other tick born illness), muscle strain or ligament tears. It could be neurologic like a slipped disk or vestibular ( balance) disease. It could be metabolic such as a kidney or liver disease. This can have a profound effect on Kira's appetite and energy level. If you can hand feed her water it will help keep her hydrated. If at anytime she becomes listless or non responsive or her gums are pale she will need to be seen right away. Please reply with any additional information or questions.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
All of this started last night and she seemed fine yesterday morning, does that possibly narrow it down at all? I plan on taking her to the vet I just figured at a moments notice this was the best first step to get an idea of what is may be
Sometimes sudden can help narrow it down. But in her case without doing a physical it is kind of hard. This is a good modality to get advice and possibilities but it cannot replace your vet. I'm glad you will be taking her. This does seem urgent
Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to get her in asap, at least now I have a general idea. That should be all I need. Thank you again
You are very welcome! Please let me know how she does.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter
Chelsea Pulter, Veterinarian