Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 8 month old boxer is lethargic and cannot keep water

Customer Question
My 8 month old...

My 8 month old boxer is lethargic and cannot keep water down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Kahlesi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kahlesi?

She ate last night but didn’t eat her food this morning

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
11/17/2017
Dog Specialist: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Kahlesi. How long since she has been unable to keep water down?

If you lift her lip and check her gums, do they look pink or pale?

There are many things that can make a puppy vomit, not eat, and not be able to hold down water. Viral infections are one cause; has she had her vaccinations?

Another cause is a blockage in the intestines from eating a toy or a sock or a large bone that is stuck in the intestines.

If this continues, she may need medical attention. If her gum are not a normal bright pink, that is a sign she may need medical attention.

Don't let her drink a lot at one time. Offer small amounts of water or ice chips. You can try Pepcid AC for the vomiting; how much does she weigh?

I have had her to the vet now and been checked. He gave her an injection of cerenia and I have her at home on watch. Hoping she doesn't vomit again.

I am so sorry I was not still online when you got back to me. Cerenia is great for vomiting; how is she today?