Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

He has a lump near his bottom. It doesn't seem to hurt him

when I press on it...
He has a lump near his bottom. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I press on it gently. It had a scab on it yesterday but doesn't today. Also all the hair in the area seems to be sticking to it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Teddy and he is 9
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?
Customer: He has a heart murmur, diagnosed about 12 months ago.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/17/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share clear pictures of what you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I have tried to add some. Sorry they aren’t very clear.
26EBD28A-5E63-44EA-9EC9...jpeg26EBD2...jpeg44AE09F9-21C3-4930-ABE3...jpeg44AE09...jpeg4CBA6D46-0689-49A6-8334...jpeg4CBA6D...jpeg527B5A95-4F19-4778-9F5B...jpeg527B5A...jpeg
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
He had been trying to lick the area as well.

Unfortunately, I cannot see much in these due to lack of clarity. Where is this located in respect to the anus? Is there any discharge from the lump? Any scooting behavior with the licking?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It’s right next to the anus on the left hand side at the top. The hair in the area is stuck to the skin but there is no discharge currently. He sometimes scoot when he pops but has not been doing it recently.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Poos sorry not pops

If the anus were a clock, where on the clock would this lump be? Around 10-11?

Was there discharge before? If so, what color and can you describe it?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It would be around 10-11. Yellow ish discharge.

I am concerned that this may be a small abscess or cyst. The potential for this to be a mass also exists. We often see anal gland concerns in this area, but they're usually witnessed at the bottom half of the anus between the 8 and 4 locations and not above. I would recommend having this area examined. For the time being, clean the area 2x daily with mild soap and water. Pat dry and apply Neosporin. Discourage scooting behavior and place an e-collar to keep him from licking. If you don't already have one at home, you can make one with these directions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU Your vet's approach in treatment may vary from a course of antibiotics and watching at home to sedation, lancing and draining the area, potentially placing a drain tube in the area and a course of antibiotics. They will be best able to advise you on what procedure is best when they can examine the area in person and determine what you're seeing.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you.

You're welcome!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse