Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My pug was just fine then out of nowhere started shaking and

licking his lips then panting...
My pug was just fine then out of nowhere started shaking and licking his lips then panting and restless? Hiding under my bed as well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chico he's 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chico?
Customer: It's been goin on for like 2 hours I'm so worried.
11/17/2017
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that no one has reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I just woke up now and he's wide awake and restless still shaking. I don't believe he's slept at all all night this stared at 9pm No vomit or diarreah . He might of ate some human food yesterday or I'm scared he might of ate something he wasn't supposed to like a small butterfinger chocolate that my toddler might have dropped. We lost his younger companion to parvo a month ago. But this dog is almost 5 and has all his shots .

The shaking, lip licking, panting and restlessness may all be linked to eating something he wasn't supposed to eat. Chocolate can certainly cause a GI upset, but a small piece would be unlikely to be toxic for a Pug if this was a Butterfinger. The majority of the ingredients are corn syrup from the filling, not the chocolate coating from the outside of the bar.

Is Chico still eating and drinking well today?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
He seems fine now he ate we went for a walk he was wagging his tail excited he used the rest room he drank water no more shaking just seems tired now he's resting . I bet it was the small butterfinger. It was just a very small piece my toddler had and I never found it so maybe Chico got to it.

I'm glad to hear he's improved. If this happens again, use the following directions. It should help even if he's eaten something like a Butterfinger that has made him nauseated:

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you so much for your help. I'm watching him closely and will watch his diet.

You're quite welcome.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse